Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/8/12  (Read 8728 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 4/8/12
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »

UP 5037 progress

Richie Dost

SecretWeapon

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
Re: Weekend Update 4/8/12
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »
Mike

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »
Richie..... interesting opening....hmmmm....... :D
Mike: Why is the Addams Family theme running through my head........?

I've been weathering some 40's at random.... photo's when I find my #@$@$! camera !!!!!!!
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
Progress on a pair of Portec tri-level auto racks:

The frame rendered 1/8" too short, as the build ratio on the Y axis was off.  There were a couple of areas on the digital model that needed adjusting as well, including ride height, coupler height, middle deck height and the depth of the center sill.  The etched wrapper however came out perfectly.  Thanks to Allen (71jeep) recommending the Photo Etch Bending Tool by The Small Shop, I got perfect bends throughout.  Just waiting on a new RP frame to arrive this coming week.  Then I have to figure out how to paint the thing.  Might paint the brass wrapper before assembly, since the inside of the car has to be white and all the panels are see-through.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
Installation of roadbed and assembly of track sections for the Dawson Creek Subdivision continues with recent completion of the main and siding tracks through Sundance on the lower level.

Looking east through Sundance (curve in distance leads to Pine River bridge):

Looking west through Sundance and toward Chetwynd yard limit:

I have been trying hard not to get stuck into any equipment projects at the moment in hopes of completing the main line, but I have been pushing a few projects which are well along toward completion. Last year I built several outfit cars; here are the first two primed and glossed in preparation for rivet decals:

This weekend I am working on the track from the Kiskatinaw River bridge to the Dawson Creek yard limit.

A Happy Easter to all,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
Well; I hate photo's of my efforts... never look as good close up............oh well...

The rotten shots notwithstanding, I guess some cars work better with some techiniques... I really think I do better when I use an undec................
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:34:34 AM »
Pud , your wheathering has gotten to be outstanding . Is it all paint or are you adding chauk ?

Richie Dost

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »

Got my dormers cast by NZT products, which jetted this project ever closer to completion.  Also worked on the newspaper plant behind it...  More photos as the weekend unfolds.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 01:23:49 AM »
Not sure that I want to be the next one up given all of the amazing stuff so far. But....here goes. Made some progress on the White Pearl macaroni building. Cut out a few more windows, and have the main walls taped together to see how it all fits.  Used the Silhouette cutter to scribe the openings in brick sheet.  I am building this into a bit of a slope, so the rails along the front section will be about a 1/2 inch higher.

I have a couple of thoughts on trying to apply some randomness to the brick color. I have been playing with the Brick and Tile software program (http://www.bricksntiles.com/textures/) to produce seamless brick textures. The thought is to print it on decal paper and apply it over a painted base coat. Lots of Solvaset latter and it might look good. The other thought is to use the cutter to cut out random single brick-sized stencils, and then apply different colors. Sort of like a punch card for those of you over 40 who know what I mean.

Best wishes and Happy Easter, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +493
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:16:26 AM »
Sorry for the webcam shot, but 27" by four feet of space for a grocer warehouse, interchange track, and some future industrial switching, whenever I get the chance to add another expansion to finish the layout in a U
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 04:00:38 AM »
Well, I'm about to drop the bombshell, No trains for me for the next few weeks. I'm in the process of moving back to the States, My wife came back from Deployment back in Feb, and filed for divorce. Dont' feel sorry for me, it's been a long time coming. I won't get into details. As of yesterday, all my trains are packed in flat rate boxes and on their way to washington state. Yes I Insured all of it. I'm hand carying all my scratch built stuff, like the climaxes, the Heisler, the A4, and my ICE3 (the box was too big to fit in flat rate boxes). I'll be ok, I already got a place to live lined up, and portentially have a job lined up, although, if any of you got hookups in Wa. State, Let me know! I may be stuck on the east coast on the way home for a period of time. I will let you guys know for sure when I know more.

Back on the train front, Before I started packing things up, I did do a little modeling, changed some more details on the A4 a little, mostly straitening piping, and changing some I wasn't happy with. I also started on a 2-6-2t project, using a Bachmann 0-6-0 as a starting point. It's going to be a REALLY HEAVY version, because I am reusing the USRA boiler. The way this it going together, I could potentially make it into a conversion kit.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:55 AM »
Mike: Sorry about your situation; hang tough.....

Richie: Paint, powder, chalks and dumb luck... thanks for the cudo's.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »
Dave,
May I suggest using sleeves from a chandelier to make your vertical storage tanks...  Nice white styrene, easy to work with, and just about the right diameter.

(pssst:  I know where you can get some cheap!)

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »

Well; I hate photo's of my efforts... never look as good close up............oh well...

Puddy, they are all layout worthy, but I like this one ALOT.....+10 :ashat: s

This week I finished up work on last weeks projects, this GP-7 had gotten a little "over weathered", and I wanted to see if I could fix it (and the fingerprint on the side sill.... :facepalm:)....I am much happier with it now...here is a before and after:  ( the lighting has changed the look as well)

And next is this B&M geep, with its wipers installed. I had to hand-make the grabs for the electrical box on the rear....fun....

And with the completion of the B&M Geep, it became obvious that I needed a better caboose to go with it, so here is a factory painted Bowser caboose to which I added red ends, z scale couplers, modified ends due to breaking/modifying :facepalm: during painting, and then I lowered the whole shebang.....First a proto shot....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1470439

And finally, here is a MEC caboose I started some weeks back, along with a proto link....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=613770

Thanks for watching and have a great week....

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
Lee, Do those sleeves include the end caps? I may just have to snag some.

Pud, sweet weathering. Looks great to me so it must be awesome for you.

Dave, 'Love that structure. Was cutting the brick not an option using the Silhouette? I like the punch card template idea, especially to capture that multi-colored brick some walls have, but how would you register them?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.