Author Topic: MRC sound decoders  (Read 1202 times)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
MRC sound decoders
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
I've been trying to get my fleet operating for the last few weeks, slow work mostly because I'm busy with other things.

I've come to the conclusion that part of my problem is an MRC drop in sound decoder in my Atlas SD60.  It sounds OK, and works... most of the time, but does not consist at all.  Whenever I set it up in an advanced consist with a second unit, it seems to screw up both locomotives, even if the second loco has a non-MRC decoder.  I'm using the NCE Powercab system and it has been flawless with other decoders, but this MRC decoder is making me think sound is not worth the effort. 

I found this thread with some similar comments:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=20722.msg195068#msg195068

Is this issue with MRC sound decoders common, or is just me?

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: MRC sound decoders
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »
Programmed 
all my MRC decoders with JMRI Deoder Pro and Digitax PR3.  They seem to run fine on Digitrax DCS100 and Zephyr using a variety of throttles.  I usually run them as advanced consists after a brief solo testing period. 

This is over a dozen or so decoders for myself and others.  Uncertain if something in the NCE is amiss but as a robust well supported system it seems doubtful.  Perhaps doing a complete system reset of the NCE to clear any 'cobwebs' is in order?  Always better to test 'fresh' in a fully known and stable environment.

Before giving up finding someone with a alternate system to test the locos in a different environment would be a most effective way to find where the issue lies...
Support fine modeling

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
Re: MRC sound decoders
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:42:50 AM »
That sounds like good advice.  I'll give it a go and see if that helps.  Thanks.