Author Topic: Going to the extreme?  (Read 1534 times)

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Going to the extreme?
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
First and foremost this is not another MT coupler bash but,something I learned recently from a follow  N Scale club member that left me speechless and I would like to share and get your input..

Seems my follow club member uses MT couplers on one end of his cars and Accurail on the other..Says he and I quote."Stops the couplers from bouncing back and forth" unquote.

Many of you know my stand and I won't go there since there's no need..

But,to my feeble mind isn't that going to the extremes? I think in his case(no switching) he should use a truck spring or maybe a old axle contact strip on the caboose.

Again I never seen this done before.

Sign

Speechless in Ohio.

Larry

Summerset Ry.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +137
Re: Going to the extreme?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »
point #1 - you said he uses this method.. and it works for him (apparently).

point #2 - you're asking if it is extreme.

i guess it depends on what your goal is...  if you don't want the slack in your train (assuming that is his goal judging from his "back and forth" comment") then there are other ways to achieve it, yes...  (like the ones you mentioned).

It sounds like he is concerned with the operational side of the truck/coupler versus the aesthetic side of things (couplers/trucks not matching, etc).

anyway, i am not really sure about the point of the thread...  it seems to me, he doesnt consider it extreme...  and you think there are other methods he could use.

i am not disagreeing there could be other methods...

and to answer your question.. no, i have never seen this done...

is it "extreme"?

i dunno.. sounds like the guy is happy with the result.

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +1112
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:55 PM »
If he's body-mounting, it's the same amount of effort to add Accu-Mates as it does Magne-Matics.  Some people are satisfied with the performance of Accu-Mates and it's true they don't oscillate, so what's the issue?

Personally I prefer the spring in the axle, as it prevents single cars from rolling at the slightest grade change on a siding as well as preserving the full functionality of the MTL coupler while eliminating the oscillation.  But he's happy with his solution, so nothing wrong with that.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
Spring on the axle?  This is new to me- anything to get rid of the slinky would be great.

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
anyway, i am not really sure about the point of the thread...  it seems to me, he doesnt consider it extreme...  and you think there are other methods he could use.
--------------------------
As I mention I never heard of this being done and just wanted  some outside input..No harm or foul intended and its more out of curiosity then anything.

Larry

Summerset Ry.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2806
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
If they are for mainline running I could see it.

I have some 20' Nn3 coal cars and on each one I glued the couplers together on one side. Cut the slinky in half and I only plan to run them in circles...

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1549
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
If you still have one MT, won't you still have some slinky?  And if you're operations based and/or have a Wye or returen loop, isn't it possible that you'll have MT/MT couplings at least once in a while?  And won't that still give you a little bouncy bouncy?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +262
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »
Spring on the axle?  This is new to me- anything to get rid of the slinky would be great.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-trains-N-00112002-1953-Truck-Restraining-Spr-p/mtl-00112002.htm

The springs go between the axle points and side frames of the trucks.  adds a bit of drag on the wheels.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »
Thanks, that is something new for me.  I'll give it a try- I've been unimpressed with the slinky effect.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:55:24 AM »
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-trains-N-00112002-1953-Truck-Restraining-Spr-p/mtl-00112002.htm

The springs go between the axle points and side frames of the trucks.  adds a bit of drag on the wheels.

I don't like how much drag those springs cause. My soultion was to cut one or two turns out of the springs. It's enough that it keeps the slinky effect down to a minimum, but still allows semi-free rolling. Right now it don't matter too much to me, because I am not really running long trains, but the few times I have, it's nice to have a little less rolling resistance.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +66
    • My train pics
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »
Hey... why you all picking on me?
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »
If you still have one MT, won't you still have some slinky?  And if you're operations based and/or have a Wye or returen loop, isn't it possible that you'll have MT/MT couplings at least once in a while?  And won't that still give you a little bouncy bouncy?

Lee

Lee,I was wondering about some of that as well..

I dunno..I be in or around  N Scale since '68 and never heard of such a technique.

I suppose I'll be scratching my head over this one for years to come.. :lol:
Larry

Summerset Ry.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
Hey... why you all picking on me?

"Some people are like slinkys: they're not really useful for anything but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs."

:trollface: