Author Topic: Lowell Smiths American Freedom Train question  (Read 3769 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1232
    • Modutrak
Re: Lowell Smiths American Freedom Train question
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »
Given the era the train ran, isn't it safe to say that the consist was a mish mash of whatever surviving "heritage" equipment was available at the time?  The Chessie Steam Special ran in the same time frame, and the consist was likely to change based on equipment availability.  You know, the tag at the bottom of the excursion poster "Equipment may be substituted without notice"

Lee

PS, I always figured Santa got his cars from Bethlehem!

If you're hinting that there might have been different equipment used on different days, then no, not really.  Check the link Jerry posted.  Looks like one or two cars were added after launch, but only the power really changed. 

It was a mish-mash of equipment to build the train, yes, but it was one finalized form.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5348
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:08 PM »
I suspect they're offering the coaches first, because the models are more or less available now.  That will whet the appetite of the collectors, and generate the revenue that might be necessary to tool the couple of uniquely AFT cars (which judging by the photos will be lightly modified baggage cars and something from the MT circus train toolbox, not necessarily all new custom tooling). 

Given that the target market is going to be collectors, I'll stand by my remark that it's absurd to expect a tee-totally perfectly prototypical set.  Considering that decent passenger cars go for $30+ these days, the $49.95 per unit doesn't amount to a custom run car...  It's retail plus attractive paint scheme, plus the "Elvis Plate" factor (Collectible).

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 11:59:56 PM »
Uh, don't care.  Now is someone would do the Reading T1, I'd sit up and take notice.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »
Yeah, and the tooth fairy liked PS.

I still get a little pissed when I read anything about the Freedom Train.  It carried a few military personnel for some of the exhibits and I came within a hairs breath of being selected to ride this train.  I was stationed in the Pentagon at the time and just missed out on what I considered the trip of a lifetime.

Bob,
next time you come over, remind me to point out the original hand drawn sketch of the 765 I have in my basement that hung in the crew car/baggage while it was pulling the Freedom Train in the East.

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 03:14:22 AM »
 :|       Bachmann did an AFT in HO many moons ago shortly after the trains tour. The cars were pretty accurate,but not enough of the display cars with the picture windows which were ex NYC. I hoped that it would lead to an N Scale (gauge at the time) train with an N GS 4 locomotive ,but that never happened. Con Cor did release a fairly accurate version of the 1948/49 the Freedom Train,usuing their PA 1 diesel and Rivarossi heavyweight cars. Nate Goodman (Nato).