Author Topic: track...is Atlas "on track" ?  (Read 5352 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
track...is Atlas "on track" ?
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
Plucked this off Facebook and the Credit valley Railway page - they are a large and well respected LHS here in Ontario and Bob, the owner is dialed in fairly well to the industry.....

Credit Valley Railway Company
Atlas Track in Short Supply

Recently it has come to our attention that Atlas is in the process of changing manufacturing facilities in China. In fact, they have already started production on rolling stock and locomotives at a new factory.

Atlas has contracted new suppliers to produce track and accessories. These new manufacturers have now received the molds for these products in all scales an...d production is to begin in the near future.

In the meantime, supplies of some track pieces are either non-existent or dwindling. We do not know at this time when Atlas track will be back in stock at normal levels, but it may be a few months in some cases.

Our website lists the Atlas HO and N scale track that we currently have in stock. Some items are limited in numbers, and once gone, may be out of stock for a period of time.

If in the near future, you are planning to build a new model railway, renovate or construct an addition to your current layout using Atlas track, we would strongly advise you to determine what you require and order it now. Otherwise, you may have no choice but wait until certain pieces that you need become available again.

Interesting.... anyone seen this happening or hard anything..........?
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: track...is Atlas "on track" ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
I know this was an issue a year or so ago.

I can't wait to see what happens when it's iPAD's or iPhones that are delayed 6 months.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +237
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »
I know this was an issue a year or so ago.

I can't wait to see what happens when it's iPAD's or iPhones that are delayed 6 months.

....the end of under 30 year olds in Western civilization.? :scared:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
Don't know if it's related or not, but around here Atlas code 55 is hard to find. I think the Allegheny Eastern has used up every piece that was available. Only one shop here still has any and I'm slowly buying that up too. I have to buy in small lots so it's better for me to buy locally.

Some local shops are reluctant to handle it because they have to buy $400 lots at a time and the stuff doesn't move fast enough to warrant stocking it. I must be the only one here abouts using the stuff. Most N scalers here appear to use code 80.

The price has risen from under $3 to over $4 since I started the layout two or so years ago. I'm still able to get some for around $3 but that supply is running out.

Frank Musick

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
We have plenty of track and switches in both 55 and 80. A quick check of the Horizon Dealer site shows most C55 sectional track in stock, flex is in stock. C55 #5 switches are out of stock but 7's are still in as well as #10 LH and both curved. In C80, some of the switches are gone, sectional looks good but the flex track says out of stock until end of October.

I believe that note is old but the track is showing some low quantities.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +64
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:06:28 PM »
Shouldnt be too long of a wait if any. Atlas had what a 2-3 month downtime when they had to redo the C55 flex mold last year.

Not seeing any supply issues around here, or my track pushers.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
All we have locally in code 55 are #7 switches and rail joiners in code 55. I bought up all the flex track I could find and will probably buy up the last of it before summer. The four track mainline of the Allegheny Eastern eats up quite a bit of track. We have 60 odd feet of mainline and have yet to finish the yards and branches. I still have to add most of the turnouts and crossings required, probably a few dozen.

Frank Musick

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
MBK "modeltrainstuff.com" and nhshobbies.com have plenty in stock.  NHS Hobbies in Ridgewood, NY is my normal track dealer, and he always stocks quite a bit.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I find this bothersome, especially in light of how indeterminate these shortages usually are.

The Code 55 was unavailable when I started building my current layout two years ago, forcing me to go with Code 80 ... or wait for an unspecified period until Code 55 was back in production. At least I had a choice then.

It's one thing when the production of an engine or rolling stock is delayed. It's another thing entirely when something as basic (and integral to the hobby) as track is unavailable.

Jim

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +66
    • My train pics
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
MBK is rationing their #5 and #7 switches to 3 and 6 per customer, respectively. Panic sets in...
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1549
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Fortunately, the primary infrastructure for the WM Western Lines is installed.  All the turnouts required are in hand, and there's a couple of strays on reserve should a realignment present itself.

I was the beneficiary of a couple of layout abandonments, so don't rule out the aftermarket.  Most of us have a stash of leftovers that are perfectly suited for industrial tracks, yards, and other installations needing short cuts and odd lots.

I've tried asking for leftovers and not asking, and asking always works better!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +88
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
Some local shops are reluctant to handle it because they have to buy $400 lots at a time and the stuff doesn't move fast enough to warrant stocking it.

I'm kind of doubting that.  I know we never had to buy at that cost.  My local guy will order it piece meal too.  He just doesn't have the space for mutliple codes of track.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
Or you can just be like Charles Ro in MA ...Americas "Largest" Train Store...according to them... and not carry C55 because "nobody buys Code 55" :facepalm:

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +466
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
Here's a solution.  Use Micro Engineering flextrack, and hand-lay your turnouts.  That's what I do.  ME flex looks exponentially better than Atlas 55 and rolling my own turnouts costs me about $1.50 per turnout and an hour of my time.  No, I don't use any jigs or fixtures, just an N-scale printout of the # of turnout I'm building, an NMRA clearance gauge and four ME three-point-code-55 (or 40) gauges.  Code 40 turnouts get built in about 45 minutes because there's less grinding to do.

Yup, ME flex is more expensive than Atlas 55, but ya get a whole YARD of it, instead of whatever less-than-a-yard length Atlas is.

Hand-laid turnouts (after you get the hang of it....about three turnouts usually) are more reliable than RTR, look better and can be repaired in place rather than torn up and replaced.  Since they only cost about a buck fifty, you won't have any desire to feel compelled to not glue them down so you can re-use them at some future date.  AND, knowing how to lay your own will open up a whole new world of trackwork to you, not constrained by #5, #7 and #10 (sort of) turnouts.

Frankly, I always feel vindicated in being able to make my own turnouts when a shortage or stoppage of turnouts happens.  It simply does not affect me whatsoever.  AND, ME track is made right here in the good ol' USA by Bob and Ron Rands, so there are no "China problems" associated with it.

Cheers!
Bob Gilmore

3DTrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • 3DTrains
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »
ME flex looks exponentially better than Atlas 55...

One of the recent batches of ME c55 contain a slight offset to the ties from one end to the other. A friend recently purchased several bulk packages of ME flex, only to discover the defect and on all sections. Scary looking stuff. Sure it can be returned, but at a loss of cost of shipping - both ways. Makes me gun-shy about what batch I may be purchasing - and usually site unseen from an online retailer. For the time being, buyer beware.

Cheers!
Marc - Riverside