Author Topic: What rolling stock is available for a period of a few years either side of 1935?  (Read 4549 times)

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +149
Thanks. I can find lots of loco shots but decent rolling stock shots are hard to find.

Ryan

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
It's not my era, but I'll see what I have.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Specter3

• Crew
Well check this post in the New Haven historical association forum. Some good shots of older cars. And some very interesting trucks.

http://thenhrhtanewhavenrailroadforum.yuku.com/reply/51999/Script-Herald#reply-51999

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
Yup.  All cars that would require scratchbuilding or kitbashing.  I kitbashed a pair of NE4 cabooses because they lasted into the 1950s.  But the other cars were gone by my era other than those in work train service.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Specter3

• Crew
Interesting site featuring mostly HO, buttery well done models. Not a ton of recent activity, but it is still being updated periodically.
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/index.html

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
This is something I did a while back. Used a MDC boxcar with Red Ball ends and door.

The strap braces are just pieces of paper with dimples.

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
I've always liked this model of yours.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
I skimmed through some NH books today.  One photo of interest was a 1936 shot of a mogul switching a silver Texaco tank car, so tracking down one of the old MTL cars or using the new Bachmann car is an option.  I also came across a number of consist photos from the 1930s that had B&O wagontop boxcars, so the FVM model is valid for your setting.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Specter3

• Crew
Now that is some news.

Thanks

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Wouldn't the PRR X28s be O.K. for this era?

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
I skimmed through some NH books today.  One photo of interest was a 1936 shot of a mogul switching a silver Texaco tank car, so tracking down one of the old MTL cars or using the new Bachmann car is an option.  I also came across a number of consist photos from the 1930s that had B&O wagontop boxcars, so the FVM model is valid for your setting.

Wagontops were built in two batches....

M53 - 1937-38 (380000 thru 381999)
M53A - 1941 (385000 thru 385999)
Tony Hines

Specter3

• Crew
Bob

From what i have read the x28 and x29 are in the ball park. I want to say I have read that the x29 was an ARA 1923 car with some PRR only features. Sadly they copied the rust producing lower sill as well.

Ryan

Specter3

• Crew
Some finds to start off my 30s collection

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
Are you going for prototypical accuracy regarding the models, or simply going for the model and the paint scheme being era-appropriate?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Specter3

• Crew
Well as much as I would love to put the time in and figure the issues with each car out, I don't have the time or money to get the books and do the research. I enjoy that kind of thing immensely, and have done it for my 70s Southern Railway main focus over the years. As I have gotten further into this steam era offshoot, I have caught myself a couple of times at 1 in the morning deep in some online archives reading and looking. The SO doesn't mind this lest I complain if tiredness the next day. And no matter what, my girls are up at 6:30 or so wanting breakfast, so my time is limited to say the least. We are now on a short break from cleaning their play room as it is their spring break. Around here no school does not mean no work, LOL.

As much as I would like it to be prototypical, I am going to settle for looks close for the moment. I can not find any decals for the early freight cars if I did manage to scare up some undecs to paint. I looked at Microscale and saw where I could perhaps use a few different sets to come up with something close but that will be down the road a bit. I really want to find some of the 1923 ARA cars in some form (Red Caboose x29 maybe) and then throw one or two Atlas 1932 boxes in there as well. I feel comfortable changing doors if something else is available but I dont think I will be sawing ends off anytime soon. I guess ultimately I am hoping for that look of the different boxcar heights that is the biggest sign of those times when you get a quick glance. If I manage to put together a few fairly close New Haven boxcars as well that would be great. I literally am a rookie in this respect as I put no thought into this era before the start of this thread. I have looked heavily around the nhrhta.org website and, small world time, figured out I dated the daughter of Bernie Rudberg, the guy chronicling the Hopewell Depot restoration,  a few times while in high school.  Anyway I am disappointed in the lack of RTR New Haven Boxcars form this period even if they are total foobs as it is hard to model a railroad with none of your home line's boxcars. Stand ins would be acceptable to me while closer to accurate was sourced and prepared over a longer time period.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan