Author Topic: Tidy Track n-scale wheel cleaner  (Read 1306 times)

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Tidy Track n-scale wheel cleaner
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »

I purchased this at the LHS yesterday 20 March 2012, and am delighted with it.
All that is necessary to do to use it is to set in on the track as pictured.

Here it is with a Kato engine in place to clean the wheels.
Next step is to turn on the powerpack and run for a few seconds.
I used about 5 seconds for each of the directions on the powerpack.

I cleaned several diesel locomotive, my RDC's and a few steam locomotive's wheels with this device.  :)
I am disappointed that it is not long enough for some of the steam engines such as the Kato GS-4.  Works fine for Kato Mike's, B'mann 2-8-0, and such.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:55:23 AM by rogergperkins »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Tidy Track n-scale wheel cleaner
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
Roger, Thanks for the info.  DO you use any sort of cleaning fluid, or are the pads dry?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

bobdobbs

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
Re: Tidy Track n-scale wheel cleaner
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:23 AM »
Hi

Have given it a try with an IM FP7. Kato F7, Atlas FM 15-44, and a Life Like SW9, with NWSL low profile, replacement wheel sets.  All worked in DCC with the exception of the SW9, the flanges are too small to make contact with the power strips. The cleaning effectiveness with light to moderate wheel grime was not so good.  I still had lots of dirt on the wheels after using the Tidy Track, then using my tried and true paper towel over the track saturated with a bit of Goo Gone got the dirt off.  I also tried to use the scrubbing pads, which appear to be thin strips of velcro hook or loop , I am not sure which.  I did not see any contact between the wheel tread and the scrubbing pad.  When I get a chance I am going to try Goo Gone and denatured alcohol  or the WS track cleaning fluid (not at the same time) and see if this improves the cleaning action.  I really want to use this gadget- it is well designed, either working on track contact, or a set of alligator clips to supply track power.  The cleaning strips are easy to change, and it seems like a high quality product.  I have purchased the rest of the WS Tidy track system, and am happy to report that the track cleaner works well, the attachable extension rod really gets the cleaner into hard to reach areas, and the little dust monkeys work well to continually dust off the track as you run trains.
[