Author Topic: Well well well... Athearn is re-releasing the big UP steam  (Read 3769 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1068
Well well well... Athearn is re-releasing the big UP steam
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »
To my shock, my fave online retailer just tonight listed future availability of the Athearn Challenger and Big Boy, and is taking pre-orders. Given the snootful of N-scale negativity I received the last two times talking to Athearn reps at shows, I thought seeing these models ever again amounted to a cold day in Hell.

My guess is they were watching eBay, too, and were scratching their heads at the $500, $600 and $700 that Big Boys were going for, and why that couldn't be money coming their way. Well... duh (!!!), guys. I tried to tell you.   :x
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +536
Re: Well well well... Athearn is re-releasing the big UP steam
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
... not enough Conrail
'In my great and unmatched wisdom'

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1551
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »
Those Zs you see over my head are a clear indication that this announcement only makes me drowsy.  Wake me up when they announce a late generation GP40 in circus colors....

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
My 2 cents...

Considering that many N scalers are running trains on curves tight enough to fit on a closet door, it fills me with wonder that we kepp getting Big Boys, Challengers and Turbines. To top that, we get them from multiple companies. They aren't exactly the motive power that you see on your average short line (unless you model Steamtown).

I would rather see a better variety of Pacifics, Mikados, Mountains, Northerns, Consolidations, etc modeled after particular roads.Engines  like the Reading, Pennsy, NYC, Milwaukee, Southern, and so on and so on.

Seems to me that the fellows with disposable income are dictating the choices the rest of us have. Didn't used to be this way and I think the hobby was better for it. Some of the old stuff was pretty genreric, but I would rather see that then another Challenger I have no use for.

Frank Musick

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +66
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:37:04 AM »
I don't model UP, or the steam era, but I'm severely tempted. Pricey, but they are pretty impressive  prototypes. One question, what are they like as runners? I'm not one of those tinkerers that can turn a turd into gold.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1068
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:36 AM »
Fantastic runners. They pull stumps, too. I have an 80-car ore train that I run on our club's (mostly level) N-Trak layout, and the Big Boy didn't break a sweat.

I ordered one of the new-release Big Boys because it's finally being offered in the number I was after, as the one I have was bought undec for that purpose. Since my decal work remains a bit unrefined, wisdom is going to put the old one on eBay before I ruin its resale value.  :|
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 12:48:44 AM »
Considering that many N scalers are running trains on curves tight enough to fit on a closet door, it fills me with wonder that we kepp getting Big Boys, Challengers and Turbines. To top that, we get them from multiple companies. They aren't exactly the motive power that you see on your average short line (unless you model Steamtown).

I would rather see a better variety of Pacifics, Mikados, Mountains, Northerns, Consolidations, etc modeled after particular roads.Engines  like the Reading, Pennsy, NYC, Milwaukee, Southern, and so on and so on.

Seems to me that the fellows with disposable income are dictating the choices the rest of us have. Didn't used to be this way and I think the hobby was better for it. Some of the old stuff was pretty genreric, but I would rather see that then another Challenger I have no use for.

Frank Musick

What Frank said.

Jim

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 01:33:25 AM »
My 2 cents...

Frank Musick

You have to understand that those "big" articulated loco's handle those tight curves much better than any Mountain or Northern. You have two small driver engines articulated together instead of one large, long wheelbase engine trying to make those tight corners. When it comes right down to it, a Challenger is a large 6 axle diesel with siderods, more weight and traction tires. They run and pull better than any diesel made and look darn impressive, silly corners or not. Athearn will sell every one they make, especially with Tsunami sound in them this time.

I missed out on the BigBoy's last go around and I will probably pick one up this time. Being a B&O guy, I have no love for the UP but my wifes grandfather worked on Challengers and BigBoys so there is a family tie that is enough excuse to pick one up. That also means my Rivarossi can be canabalized for other uses or sold.
Tony Hines

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »
OOOooooooo..........I need one or two to Bash into Z classes........ Chopy Chopy.  :D
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +545
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:39:50 AM »
One of the guys in BANTRAK has these .. they are great pullers ... and seem to run pretty good ...

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
I'm looking forward to grabbing a Big Boy, as I missed them the first time around. They're slightly expensive but impressive none-the-less. They'll look good pulling the COLA set.

The S.

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
These are some of the best N scale steam ever real eased...

lashedup

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Model 160
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »
Worth noting that that MSRP has gone up nearly $75. Either the cost to make them has gone up or Athearn knows people will pay more to get one. Or both.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +780
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
MTH did the 4-12-2 with articulation that looked and worked very well to me . I would love to have that same setup in N Scale . Especially if all the drivers are flanged .

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +1551
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »
How about taking the Challenger drive and putting a shell on it that looks like a WM or Clinchfield Challenger. 
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net