Author Topic: Like-Like E-6A/B delving into the past  (Read 1330 times)

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Like-Like E-6A/B delving into the past
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »
I think the Life-Like  E-6A/B was released about 11 years ago or at least the B&O version was the topic of discussion on the BnO n-scale yahoo forum at that time.
I just purchased one and have run it only a few times of limited duration.  So far I am pleased.  I have been searching to determine if a model of this engine was produced in n-scale since 2000.

Does anyone out there have one of these?  If yes, do you still run it.  Thanks.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
  • Respect: +2024
Re: Like-Like E-6A/B delving into the past
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
Hi, Roger.  Try this review: http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/lle678.html

DFF

General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.
Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
A Proud HOer

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »
Had one of those years ago and it ran fine.  I never did like the look of the nose on the E7 and 89 units. 

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
Had one of those years ago and it ran fine.  I never did like the look of the nose on the E7 and 89 units.

I agree with Bob.  My Life Like C&O E8 runs really well and can pull stumps, but it's not the best looking shell.  Unfortunately, Kato refuses to offer their E units decorated in any roads that I'm interested in.  :x

DFF

A Proud HOer

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
I like the E6, I used it for an CB&Q E5 conversion with and AB shell I bought.  I don't care for the looks of the E 789 as stated above.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »
Are these worth adding a decoder?

Absolutely.  I paid someone at the Timonium show to put a decoder in my E8, because it does require a hard-wired decoder.  Unfortunately, the locomotive stopped running after a few months.  Sent it off to Lee, who corrected the problem and added an LED headlight.  So, if you need a decoder installed, call Lee.  By the way, it still runs great!

Photo by Lee Weldon

DFF

A Proud HOer

davefoxx

• Crew
  • "I like trains!"
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:56:03 AM »
I like the E6, I used it for an CB&Q E5 conversion with and AB shell I bought.  I don't care for the looks of the E 789 as stated above.

I think it's the area around the windshield on the E8 that bothers me the most.  Perhaps if the glass were more flush, it would look better.  Other improvements that I made to the E8 are MT couplers and Kato stainless steel grilles on the sides (you can sort of see the grilles in the picture above).

A Proud HOer

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +106
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »
I think it's the area around the windshield on the E8 that bothers me the most.  Perhaps if the glass were more flush, it would look better.  Other improvements that I made to the E8 are MT couplers and Kato stainless steel grilles on the sides (you can sort of see the grilles in the picture above).

For me it is the whole nose.  It is just wrong.  The Con-Cor nose was much better in my opinion.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
For me it is the whole nose.  It is just wrong.  The Con-Cor nose was much better in my opinion.

Yup, the LL E8 nose is just wrong. The Concor model is the Rivarossi shell (yup, from the 60s!).

Mark

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 04:36:05 PM »
You can easily add Kato shells to the 1st Gen LL plastic chassis. I used some Plastruct solid square strip glued to the inside of the shell. One in each rear corner, and one in the nose, then tapped for some brass flush mount screws. You have to mill the weights with a mill-file but the loss in weight is negligible.

The S.