Author Topic: Computer program to print a control panel plan?  (Read 1701 times)

videobruce

Computer program to print a control panel plan?
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
My 1st layout I used 'Charting or Graphic Tape' to lay out the track plan for a control panel. Small layout, many parallel tracks, but it worked out ok.

That was 15 years ago and I guess no one does that anymore in favor of a computer program to do so.

Problem is, I'm not a graphic artist, I don't use Photoshop though I can navigate through Windows Registry with little issue. I never used any of those track planning programs as I did my hand drawn plan as to scale as possible, then full scale with turnout templates so I know it's at least 95% feasible.

I see all these PC generated control panels and they do look great, but anything graphic is out of my league. Ideas??

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8035
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Computer program to print a control panel plan?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:08:33 AM »
With some creativity, you could probably get Google drawing to do something decent.

Go to https://docs.google.com/ and create a new drawing.

I'd be curious to see what you can get it to do.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
Several of us here are proficient using Adobe Illustrator. Can you post a drawing (by hand is OK) with dims for us to look at?

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

videobruce

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:12:38 AM »
Attached is V3 of the layout minus the five tentative industrial spurs, three spurs for the passenger station and the engine house. It's 95% to scale and in proportion to one another. All turnouts positions were confirmed by templates full scale. The 'bowl' of the hump will probably have to be 'tweaked'.
The three parallel tracks on a diagonal, to the right are elevated.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff40/videobruce/layoutv3whole.jpg

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:03:41 AM by videobruce »