Author Topic: New Atlas N-Scale 4-4-0 confirmed  (Read 23907 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: New Atlas N-Scale 4-4-0 confirmed
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »
Hi David, any chance of showing a pic of the rear cab wall and glazing on your website?

Yes, very soon! It's one of those really moldy Round Tuits!

Hope you don't mind but I Nd-022 a plug over on the HOn30 Yahoo Group!  They seemed very interested in it when I posted a link to this thread.

Mind? You can commit me if I ever turn down free advertising!

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 04:21:31 PM »
David, I've tinkered around and made a drop-in metal cast cab weight to try to put some more weight on the rear driver for better electrical pickup, and also an 'extended' coal bunker to add some more weight on the tender for the same reason.

Both are cast metal.   I'll have them on the Randgust web page here shortly along with photos.

The cab weight is pretty much drop-in and there's a little cutout on the RH side to at least put half a torso in there for an engineer. 

The tender weight requires some surgery - you'll want to cut out the existing 'coal load' with an Xacto and put this one in its place.  You 'could' glue split wood to the top of this if you wanted a wood load.    I'm not planning to make that one.

Note the extended coal bunker on this C-2 Class C&NW 4-4-0 from 1885 - that's my inspiration to try to come up with something here:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/14355
Oh, and that has identical counterweights, FWIW!

I decided to do these for myself but I will have them available.    My intent is to try to get some more weight on this thing as the electrical pickup overall is rather marginal as designed.  With some test weights put on the cab roof and the tender, along with jumpering around the spring-wire drawbar (which is erratic), the pickup is now rock steady.  I can run this thing through Atlas #6 crossovers (plastic frog) and it doesn't hesitate at all, which is my acid test for electrical pickup.

While I'm not particularly in love with a cab weight, I'm even less in love with a stalled locomotive.  Those that know me know that in a battle between operation and appearance, operation wins about 90% of the time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:39:58 PM by randgust »

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
Hey, I'll bump this back up.

Once again, in the general spirit of voiding warranties and focing square pegs into round holes....    Adding weight to the tender and the cab has done wonders for pickup, so far so good, but road testing it on the HV module has been, well, simply painful.  After the 2-6-0 worked, and the Atlas shay worked, I was lulled into a false sense of security on the tiny 4-4-0.

Has anybody but me tried running this thing on curves tighter than 9 3/4?    I really like it and it has excellent slow speed.  But nasty things happen on tight curves, which isn't Atlas fault because I know I'm pushing it where I have no business doing that.  the Hickory Valley module binds right down to 8" with vintage Trix R1 switches.

The pilot truck is the source of all evil now.  I had to cut off the mudguards on the lead axle, and also cut a mild notch on the inside of the cylinder to clear the wheel flanges.  The whole deal swings WAY to the inside.  I also noticed the gauge on the wheelset is narrow, easily fixed.

But she still derails, and from what I can see, it is because the 'angle of attack' on that wheel flange is right up against the railhead; there's no fillet in there, the flange is grinding right along the railrhead on that radius.   The tinest speck pushes the wheel up and over.  I'm going to attempt to put a tiny lead weight on the lead truck over the lead axle and see if that does it...

I doubt that anyone but me has gone down this twisted path, but it you have, any tips or observations?   Stop over to my table at Bedford and see if I actually got it to work, I'll have it there if I did.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2013, 04:03:01 PM »
All the running I did was on 10" radius, it even ran through a cruved turnout.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
All the running I did was on 10" radius, it even ran through a cruved turnout.

Same with mine.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)