Author Topic: Atlas PS-1 release 1 announced  (Read 5028 times)

towl1996

• Crew
  • Chairman of TRW Busty Cougar Welcoming Committee
  • Respect: +138
Re: Atlas PS-1 release 1 announced
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »
I think it's fantastic that Atlas was able to offer it at that price.  It isn't that far off from most MTL offerings on their 40' PS-1, which isn't state of the art tooling.  So I don't know what the fuss is.

Fantastic? Is that the modeler's or manufacture's observation?

I know I wouldn't what to start out in the hobby at today's prices.  How many 20 dollar cars can the average guy buy? I'm self employed and doing good thanks to my Temple U. education, but I wouldn't be buying cars today like I did years ago, not at these prices. Especially since it costs over 80 bucks to fill up my truck and my boys like to eat.

Now, if it's the PRR, I will pay to play. However, I haven't bought a non PRR MT boxcar in years. So I can't compare the two. The Atlas car may be at a good price point for what is being offered. But I'm not fleeting building with either the MT car or the Atlas car.

So no real fuss, just an observation of the current two edged sword market. Thanks
Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
Well, if you trust the inflation calculators, the crude Atlas boxcar I scrimped and saved my allowance to buy in 1968 for $2.75 would be $17.91 in 2012 money. I'll take a dozen of the new PS-1's, thank you. Incredible deal.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1140
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 07:23:08 PM »
As someone with no particular vested interest in this particular model, I can say I'm pleased Atlas is tooling a new model that will cover a lot of modelling interests.  The cost is still less than what they pay in those "other" scales, but regardless, I think the improvement in detail and execution make it worth the cost.

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 09:37:53 PM »
As someone with no particular vested interest in this particular model, I can say I'm pleased Atlas is tooling a new model that will cover a lot of modelling interests.  The cost is still less than what they pay in those "other" scales, but regardless, I think the improvement in detail and execution make it worth the cost.

Actually some of the HO Scale cars are cheaper-the Trainman cars as a example and some Athearn and Atlas cars are the same price as the new  N Scale PS1.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
If you want crap; then you can buy the vintage stuff, it's day is done... if you want the current "best in class" then you can pay the price asked and enjoy some exceptional offerings.....it's just that simple.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »
... Now, if it's the PRR, I will pay to play. However, I haven't bought a non PRR MT boxcar in years. So I can't compare the two. The Atlas car may be at a good price point for what is being offered. But I'm not fleeting building with either the MT car or the Atlas car...

There is something available on the market for everyone.  For those who desire to stretch their dollars more so than striving for prototypical accuracy, there are models available at a lower price point.  But more and more people are demanding well-detailed prototypical models, and the fact of the matter is that those are more costly.  And yes, from the consumer's point of view, the Atlas car is at a very good price point for what is being offered.  Atlas very easily could have commanded more for this strongly-desired prototype if they had chosen to do so.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 06:58:34 AM »
If you want crap; then you can buy the vintage stuff, it's day is done... if you want the current "best in class" then you can pay the price asked and enjoy some exceptional offerings.....it's just that simple.

I agree even some of those so called vintage cars are still available at higher prices. :facepalm:

As I stated many times before-shop around for the better street price.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
There is something available on the market for everyone.  For those who desire to stretch their dollars more so than striving for prototypical accuracy, there are models available at a lower price point.  But more and more people are demanding well-detailed prototypical models, and the fact of the matter is that those are more costly.  And yes, from the consumer's point of view, the Atlas car is at a very good price point for what is being offered.  Atlas very easily could have commanded more for this strongly-desired prototype if they had chosen to do so.

That is true but,there will be a whoa up! price point where many will refuse to buy which equals lost sales for the newer car and will take longer to have a ROI which could mean a slow down on new  N Scale products in favor of HO products that has a higher ROI rate.

As much as I like  N Scale I would need to think twice about shelling out (say)$40.00 for a detailed  N Scale car with tiny details you can't hardly see versus a $40.00  HO car with the same details you can see..
Larry

Summerset Ry.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 08:10:14 AM »
Fantastic? Is that the modeler's or manufacture's observation?

I know I wouldn't what to start out in the hobby at today's prices.  How many 20 dollar cars can the average guy buy? I'm self employed and doing good thanks to my Temple U. education, but I wouldn't be buying cars today like I did years ago, not at these prices. Especially since it costs over 80 bucks to fill up my truck and my boys like to eat.

Now, if it's the PRR, I will pay to play. However, I haven't bought a non PRR MT boxcar in years. So I can't compare the two. The Atlas car may be at a good price point for what is being offered. But I'm not fleeting building with either the MT car or the Atlas car.

So no real fuss, just an observation of the current two edged sword market. Thanks

It's fantastic from both a manufacturer's and a modeler's observation. 

It's going to be really hard for this cost arguement to gain traction when Atlas also offers a Trainman line PS-1 for an MSRP of $11.95!   :facepalm:

http://www.atlastrainman.com/NFreight/tmn40ps1.htm

We don't even need to argue about the used stuff floating around at trainshows... that's brand new models at cheap prices for those that want to stretch their dollar. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:12:29 AM by Sokramiketes »

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »
Mike,I wonder if Atlas will phase out that old tooled Trainman PS1? Maybe the dies are getting worn? It does seem like a odd thing to do..

Just saying.

About what I said about the price tags still holds true there's no denying that as the evidence is clearly evident if one cares to check..

Even with that said I welcome these improve cars.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
Mike,I wonder if Atlas will phase out that old tooled Trainman PS1? Maybe the dies are getting worn? It does seem like a odd thing to do..

Just saying.

About what I said about the price tags still holds true there's no denying that as the evidence is clearly evident if one cares to check..

Even with that said I welcome these improve cars.

Atlas already answered that question. The Trainman PS-1 will not go away, it is the first car that will show the true distinction between the a Trainman and a Master series car. I think they will keep it around just for that comparo.
Tony Hines

Brakie

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
Atlas already answered that question. The Trainman PS-1 will not go away, it is the first car that will show the true distinction between the a Trainman and a Master series car. I think they will keep it around just for that comparo.

Interesting since there is only a few bucks different in the price.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 11:28:50 AM »
Interesting since there is only a few bucks different in the price.

More than a few Larry...

The MSRP on the Trainman model is $11.95.

The MSRP on the new PS is $26.95

Even at street pricing, you're probably looking at a 10-spot difference.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »
That is true but,there will be a whoa up! price point where many will refuse to buy which equals lost sales for the newer car and will take longer to have a ROI which could mean a slow down on new  N Scale products in favor of HO products that has a higher ROI rate.

As much as I like  N Scale I would need to think twice about shelling out (say)$40.00 for a detailed  N Scale car with tiny details you can't hardly see versus a $40.00  HO car with the same details you can see..

You make some good points Larry.

The challenge is that there is no "set price" where folks suddenly stop buying– say like your $40 figure.

It's an "elastic" target that moves depending upon many variable.  Of course as the price goes up fewer people will buy... That is true enough.  BUT, many times the best ROI for any product is not the "Let's price it at the lowest price possible and go for volume" but instead is found higher up the pricing ladder.  Lot's of sales dollars don't always equal the most profitability.

Yes, HO has say 3X more modelers than N-scale.  However, keep in mind there is far more competition in HO scale for the consumer's dollar.  AND (while this is speculation on my part) I wouldn't be suprised if the "average" N scaler has more locomotives/cars/buildings than the "average" HO scaler, just because of the size/spacing advantage offered by N scale. 

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »

For fifty years there has been the "whoa up" line that manufacturers try not to cross.  You make it sound as if 2012 is different than 1972.  It's not.  More sophisticated and more specific targeting of the consumer base perhaps.  But there's always been a balance between price-point and saleability that has to be observed.

The ability exists today to target a specific model for a specific segment of the consumer base.  To believe that your personal perception of $40 MSRP exceeding the boundaries of reasonable pricing is the general perception is nothing more than you projecting.  The Red Caboose auto racks pushed the $40 mark five years or so ago, by far the most expensive N scale freight car on average at the time, and it was their best-selling N scale model ever.  The RC model is significantly better than the MTL version in numerous areas (design, detail, ride-height), yet the average MSRP of the MTL version isn't much less.  But both models (and the MTL open racks) far exceed the quality of the auto rack models introduced in the late 1960s.  The Arnold, Bachmann and Roco models (and the Con-Cor model from the 1980s) are clearly toy-like juxtaposed with the RC and MTL models.

As I indicated up-thread, there are plenty of Trainman-level items available on the market for those who feel newer items are out of their price range.  You return to this theme more often than not, and it seems you're perturbed because you want the higher-end models at 1980 prices.  That simply isn't going to happen.  If you want the models that are better detailed and more accurate to the prototype, then you have to allow that such features are more costly than the crudely-detailed models tooled in the 1970s.

One other point to note - over the last decade or so there has been far far far more turnover of N scale product than ever before, which has resulted in a greater amount of models being introduced.  So it appears the current model is working.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:12:14 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net