Author Topic: Digitrax Zephyr Xtra and B'mann 2-8-0 in DCC mode  (Read 1156 times)

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
Digitrax Zephyr Xtra and B'mann 2-8-0 in DCC mode
« on: March 04, 2012, 10:39:57 AM »
 :) During the past week, I installed DCC on my layout.  The layout is wired so I can run DC as before or strictly DCC.
I am learning and so far successfully programmed two B'mann 44 tonner and set new addresses different than the factory setting of 03.  I was successful in MU'ing these 2 engines.

I have followed the same steps to set new addresses for two 2-8-0 B'mann engines that came equiped to operate dual mode, i.e. such as this one.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3451

I cannot get these 2-8-0 programmed.  Is there something unique about the factory setting?  Thanks.
I have already posted on the Digitrax discussion forum and no answer so far.  8)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
Re: Digitrax Zephyr Xtra and B'mann 2-8-0 in DCC mode
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Roger,
 Just to make sure they are the DCC versions of the loco, which are fairly new releases, look for 6 wires between the loco and tender. If the wires are there, then they are DCC equipped. If there are no wires, they are not DCC equipped from the factory. They should run on address 3 out of the box. If they don't run on address 3 before any progamming, you have problems in the loco. Just to be sure, do a reset on the decoder. For the Bachmann decoders program CV8 = 8 or 33 depending on the version of the decoder. Try 8 first.

As far as programing, they should program the same as the 44T. The Zephyr Xtra shouldn't have any issues on the programing track but you may try progamming on the main. When you go into programming, press the program button until OPP shows up on the display. Remove other DCC loco's from the main and then place the loco you want to program on the main.
Tony Hines

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:27:59 PM »
Yup, the B&O lettered loco's have not been offered since the switch to DCC included loco's.
Tony Hines

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
They're fairly easy to install DCC.  Contact me off list.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net