Author Topic: Tomix Tram Track and The Altoona & Logan Valley  (Read 8816 times)

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
Re: Tomix Tram Track and The Altoona & Logan Valley
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
FWIW, on my long list, is to do a model of a 'Knoxville' car.

Not exactly the same but pretty darn close.  The WCF&N only had right side entry doors, but that's easily changed on the drawing if I plan ahead.

IFIAK, the Bachmann Brill can be used as a drive if enough material can be cut away.

But the big cars are up first.  :)

Jason

I think the Knoxville cars are Osgood-Bradley "master units" as RMC calls them. The plans they show are almost identical to the Logan Valley cars. I you need a drawing of the Knoxville car, I believe I can post a copy here.

The big car was built by Perley A. Thomas in 1930. That's the same company that built the St Charles Street cars for New Orleans.  I may be able to find drawings for something similar.

Frank Musick

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
The' Knoxville' units were built by Thomas and the big interurbans are McGuire-Cummings.

I have some form of drawing for all the cars, but I'm always looking better ones if you know of any.

Jason

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:34 AM »
Is this any help...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
Yeah actually it does. Thanks.  There are a few dimensions My drawing doesn't have plus the roof cutaway helps.

Just for that, I'll show you this.

I did this a few years ago just to see if I could make the roof.  From there it just sort of expanded to the windows.  Still have no idea how to do the weird angle of the front windows, but the good thing is I only need to draw 1/4 of the car and mirror it a couple times.

As the technology gets better, I have a bunch of interurbans and trolleys I want to draw up.  For now I'll probably do some 'simplified' drawings.  Enough detail to look good but not so much that you focus on how poorly rendered the detail is.

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5506
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
If you want to do any Niles Cars let me know I have an old catalog with drawings.

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

As the technology gets better, I have a bunch of interurbans and trolleys I want to draw up.  For now I'll probably do some 'simplified' drawings.  Enough detail to look good but not so much that you focus on how poorly rendered the detail is.

Jason

I got in a bit of modeling today and merged my PCC's to make one dual ender...
Waiting for the glue to set so I can finish it up and paint. I like the look of the earlier PCC's and Brilliners without wheel openings so I though I'd go for it.

John Allen was right about photographing your models...All the mistakes are obvious. Needs a bit of tweaking.

I did away with the loops on the Logan Valley. Now the trackage is point to point and opened some space on the layout. I just have to find an auto reverse and better looking trolley poles. Minaturesbyeric has some (http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itm00001.htm). They cost almost as much as I paid for the two trolleys.