Author Topic: FVM kills the market for Milwaukee Road brass....keep it up!  (Read 1197 times)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
FVM kills the market for Milwaukee Road brass....keep it up!
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
Amazing what a new plastic model such as the Fox Valley Models rib side caboose will do to the value of brass!
Just ran across this consignment at N Scale Supply:
http://www.nscalesupply.com/pon/PreownedDetail.aspx?id=34825

I bought a couple of these from eBay over the years, and they used to go for $150+ at times.
Not only that, the FVM cars are more accurate that the Overland model which is a combination of variations.
Keep up the good work FVM!

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: FVM kills the market for Milwaukee Road brass....keep it up!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »
I've got a couple of the unpainted brass ones that I bought new when released, for $59.99 I think, maybe less. 
I own a couple of the UP CA-8's that came from Hallmark, I think.  I paid $39.99 for those brand new.  Obviously since that time Golden West came out with flat kits and then Intermountain released them as built ups, souring that market.

I'll just sit on them for a long while, I guess.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:25:34 PM »
The Golden West/Centralia/Intermountain cabeese are CA-3, -4 or -5 rivet-sides. The UP fan is still stuck with Overland for welded sides and the longer wheelbase of the CA-8/9/10, which were the lion's share of anything in "P" service. Fortunately, the Centralia models are a reasonable stand-in for the 100 CA-7s, all converted to pool service in the late '60s.

Oh - and having heard it from the horse's mouth (Centralia, a/k/a Des Plaines Hobbies) - the most recent and all future issues do not have the proper trucks. They were having so many problems with the Golden West multi-piece design that they threw in the towel and are using the new MTL caboose truck from here on out. The UP truck is a unique design, and losing this source is a big pain in the tuckus.

EDIT - The Hallmark is a CA-7.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:28:45 PM by C855B »

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
I bought four Milwaukee Road ribbed side cabeese when they first came out for the discounted price of $44.95 each, unpainted.

I few years ago I paid more than that for a smashed unpainted one on eBay that I turned into this flatcar load.

I wonder what the FVM Hiawatha has done to my brass 5-car ribbed set with finned Beavertail?  I have one bare brass set and one custom painted set.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
Big question is...........when are the FVM expected to come out?  I have not seen anything on a release date.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
I recently read on the internet somewhere (I think it was the Yahoo Milwaukee group) that they might be here (wherever that is) by the end of March. The information was presented as an email response from FVM.  Any other intell out there?

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.