Author Topic: Atlas flat question  (Read 893 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
Atlas flat question
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »
Just wondering if I seen what I thought I seen didn't atlas have an 89' flat tooled up I know they have a trash flat but thought there was an intermodal one coming. I can't wait to get some more quality intermodal flats to go with my Trainworx pullmans and BLMA F89J's. I'm hoping Athearn will do the F89F in N.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Atlas flat question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
Just wondering if I seen what I thought I seen didn't atlas have an 89' flat tooled up I know they have a trash flat but thought there was an intermodal one coming. I can't wait to get some more quality intermodal flats to go with my Trainworx pullmans and BLMA F89J's. I'm hoping Athearn will do the F89F in N.

I think the 89' Atlas flat is just strong assumption because of the HO one.  It's hard to imagine they don't get to it at some point.  Of course maybe now they've waited too long. 

As for the Athearn one, the response I got made it pretty clear that something special, possibly involving a gun, would have to happen for us to see it.

The best flat left out there to do IMO is an 89' lo-deck.  These were the cars used in tri-level autorack service.

Jason

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
It's a race between BLMA and Atlas to see who can be the last to get out an F89 flat. But BLMA is so far in the lead, Atlas might just lose the race!  :D

Athearn.....what Jason said but it would have to be a mighty big one. Don't expect any new tooling from Athearn.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +115
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »
There is one here is the link http://www.atlasrr.com/News/nmra2011.htm I will replace my MTL's with this one.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +166
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 06:35:49 PM »
I think the 89' Atlas flat is just strong assumption because of the HO one. 

The Atlas 89' flat has been shown at train shows in the last year..... so it will happen.

Without getting into the usual bashing, if you would like to see MTL consider another 89' flat, such as an F89F, please let Joe/MTL know.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +544
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »
There is one here is the link http://www.atlasrr.com/News/nmra2011.htm I will replace my MTL's with this one.

Forgot all about that, perhaps because it may be too new for me. I've never seen an HO one close enough to see what a '1973' version entails.  With 5 releases in HO without a  brown Trailer Train scheme, I think I have a long time until I need to worry about this, but I would be nice not to have to paint the decks on my MTL cars white.

Jason