Author Topic: Seaboard Central 2.0  (Read 467078 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #660 on: February 02, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »
0
I'm fine with the color. I think it looks terrific!

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8584
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #661 on: February 02, 2014, 09:46:06 AM »
0
Thanks, DKS!  I look forward to making the kudzu crawl over trees and the trestle.  That should bring up the realism and make it obvious what kind of vine this represents.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8584
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #662 on: February 02, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »
0
More fun with kudzu!



DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

packers#1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1625
  • Gender: Male
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +885
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #663 on: February 02, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
0
Either it's the fact it's spread or my phone has different lighting than my computer but I'm digging the color now; perhaps it was just missing the shadows
Sawyer
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #664 on: February 02, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
0
I checked the layout this morning and the f---ing kudzu has spread overnight!   Stupid invasive weed!  :x



Seriously, I hear you guys on the color, but it doesn't bother me yet.  The next problem is that, if I remember correctly, the next shade down is dark green leaf flock, and it's way too dark.  So, to fix this, it might require an overspray of paint, but I don't have an airbrush.

DFF

It needs a few trees to climb up. I've never seen that large a patch of kudzu that wasn't going vertical on something.

Looking viney fine!
Peter Pfotenhauer

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8584
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #665 on: February 02, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »
0
Patience.  Trees are coming.  Here's the inspiration:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=203122&nseq=29
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:06:17 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

GaryHinshaw

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6761
  • Respect: +2639
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #666 on: February 02, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
0
That new shot looks great Dave!  I think the texture and colour look very convincing, and it's obvious that it's supposed to be kudzu.  Here is some more inspiration (showing a range of colours, BTW):

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=447740&nseq=1
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=322026&nseq=16
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=300862&nseq=17

Dave V

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12261
  • Gender: Male
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +11712
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #667 on: February 02, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »
0
For all I know, the lighting could be all it is.  It looks darker in the second pic.

That said that is in fact the most convincing kudzu I've ever seen short of the real thing!

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #668 on: February 02, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
0
Never seen Kudzu before but based from the photos it looks to be an accurate representation.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4892
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +839
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #669 on: February 02, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
0
So, how are you going to do a bazillion long leaf pines?  It ain't the Sandhills if you don't have longleafs.
I like ducks



davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8584
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #670 on: February 02, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »
0
Thanks a lot, guys!  I have been working hard on this.  I started adding some trees, but I'm not ecstatic with it.  For one, I don't like the color that I am using for foliage, and, second, Iain (John D.) nailed it.  I need to figure out how to do those pine trees convincingly.  I'm just going to plant deciduous for now, so until then...



I'm okay with how the first three trees look like the kudzu has taken over.  The two tall trees seem perhaps too cylindrical, but this is how the kudzu grows and drapes itself over the trees.  The trees are also still very wet, so ignore the white blobs of glue for now.

Oh, and my drainage ditch under the trestle works.  I keep having to sop up the matte medium as it flows into the lake.   :facepalm:

Fire away with more suggestions, please.

DFF
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:27:32 PM by davefoxx »

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

DKS

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 13424
  • Respect: +7027
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #671 on: February 02, 2014, 06:15:38 PM »
0
That looks horrible! And exactly as it should be. Very cool, carry on!

I very much admire modelers who tackle "ugly" subject matter; the effect can be quite remarkable. The risk of course is that someone will look at it and go, WTF? You are not at risk; you've nailed it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:17:38 PM by David K. Smith »

Smike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 821
  • Respect: +198
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #672 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
0
Excellent! I'm on board with the look. Nice to see you starting on the finishing scenery work on your layout. The golf course rolling grass just could not do it justice.

I agree with DKS, those that include the ugly and do it well, Archive a level of realism that is hard to get otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:23:37 PM by Smike »

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12345
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8584
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #673 on: February 02, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
0
Last shots of the day.  I'm excited by almost having a spot on the layout where I can shoot pictures with finished scenery.  Admittedly, I need a background, but, ignoring that, these are some cool angles:





Have a great week,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

nsbob

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 145
  • Respect: +20
Re: Seaboard Central 2.0
« Reply #674 on: February 02, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
0
Totally awesome!!!