Author Topic: Peco Turnouts - DCC friendly  (Read 2093 times)

mdeberg

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Peco Turnouts - DCC friendly
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »
I'm sure it's a common question that many have already been through, I like the idea of powered frogs and the reliability of peco turnouts but hear they require quite a bit of work to make them totally dcc friendly and isoldate the frog, and even some jumpering the rails.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mike DeBerg

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
Re: Peco Turnouts - DCC friendly
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:08:43 PM »
I haven't done it, but have heard from others that it's not that hard or time consuming.  If you haven't seen this sight, it breaks down all of the different manufacturers turnouts for DCC use.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_peco.htm

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Here are couple of links that I have referred to:
About Peco ElectroFrog Turnouts: Valuable Information from Loy's Toys

About Peco InsulFrog Turnouts: Valuable Information from Loy's Toys

Depending on where and how your using the turnouts, by simply placing insulated rail joiners on the frog rails on the diverging side of the frog is all you need.  There is a diagram that shows this on the link for the Electrofrog turnout about halfway down, illustration #3.

If a single turnout leads into a stub siding, then you don't need any insulated joiners.  If you have two turnouts, one after the other, then you need to insulate both rails between the turnouts.  If you have a double ended siding, then again you need to insulate both rails on both turnouts.

This leaves the frog rails dead, but with flywheels and long framed locos, you will never notice the dead rails.  Small steamers might see the dead rails.  If that is the case, then you can wire the jumpers to the rails. 

inkaneer

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Here are couple of links that I have referred to:
About Peco ElectroFrog Turnouts: Valuable Information from Loy's Toys

About Peco InsulFrog Turnouts: Valuable Information from Loy's Toys

Depending on where and how your using the turnouts, by simply placing insulated rail joiners on the frog rails on the diverging side of the frog is all you need.  There is a diagram that shows this on the link for the Electrofrog turnout about halfway down, illustration #3.

If a single turnout leads into a stub siding, then you don't need any insulated joiners.  If you have two turnouts, one after the other, then you need to insulate both rails between the turnouts.  If you have a double ended siding, then again you need to insulate both rails on both turnouts.

This leaves the frog rails dead, but with flywheels and long framed locos, you will never notice the dead rails.  Small steamers might see the dead rails.  If that is the case, then you can wire the jumpers to the rails.

Not sure what you mean in your last paragraph.  On the Electrofrog turnouts, aren't the rails beyond the frog the same polarity as the frog thus requiring the insulated rail joiners to prevent a short on a double ended siding?

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »
Not sure what you mean in your last paragraph.  On the Electrofrog turnouts, aren't the rails beyond the frog the same polarity as the frog thus requiring the insulated rail joiners to prevent a short on a double ended siding?

Only if you have a separate feeder.  Most people will let the turnout power a stub siding, in which case there's no problem.

Jason

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:46:09 PM »

inkaneer, YES, I stand corrected.  I was going somewhere else with this and got distracted by a phone and forgot to remove this paragraph.
Sorry for the confusion.