Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/29/12  (Read 6354 times)

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
Re: Weekend Update 1/29/12
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 11:14:26 PM »
Groovy talks on making your own waybills & car cards based on prototype paperwork by Tony Thompson (similar to his article http://www.opsig.org/doff/DOpages/Freight%20Car%20Handling%20new.pdf), all the new bells & whistles of the latest JMRI (we are in Silicone Valley, yo), and layout guru Byron Henderson discussion his own three layouts (2 N & an On30) in the making (the shoemaker will might get shoes).

M.C., thanks for the link to Mr. Thompson's article. Lots of great info there for those interested in operation. The zone chart alone is one of the most useful graphics I've run across in some time.

And it's always great to see your work, of course!

Jim

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 12:43:59 AM »
Thanks to Atlas, I get to actually start building something.  I've settled on two pieces/modules to start with.  The first some may remember.

Okay so now that we're all caught up,  the first piece I wanted to get on was the #12 turnout.  A little back story,  before the over pass there was just a regular #10 to start the yard ladder.  But the bridge required moving the points ~35' feet to the east side of the new bridge so a #12 was put in it's place with a small jog back to the old ladder.

It's been ten years since I last built a turnout and it has shown.  The picture is version 2a (start over but using same rails from previous).  I now understand why Atlas c55 turnouts aren't straight.

Jason

vt_railroad_guy

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »
Went to the Springfield show and picked up a "Jeromiah O'Brien" BAR geep, 2 atlas Gondollas (MEC and BAR), an athearn BAR Boxcar and an atlas BAR caboose.  Also picked up 4 packages of caboose industreis ground throws for use with my atlas switches.  Over all, I was happy with my take.  Now, I just need to get the track layed out and trains running!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:25:17 AM by vt_railroad_guy »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 08:54:52 AM »
I've been trying to force myself, but haven't touched the trains in a while.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 12:54:42 PM »
I went to the dark side this past weekend. I gave in and started making custom handrails. First victim was an Atlas GP50 which has been bugging me with those fat rails since I detailed it a few years ago. In this pic you can see the difference with the stock handrail coming out the back of the cab (project for next time)

Please…. help me… I can see lots of hours being sucked up into this… and malty beverages to keep from going insane. ( I mean the front hand rails where 3 IPA’s alone…)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 01:26:29 PM »
Yikes, but that looks so good.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »
I went to the dark side this past weekend. I gave in and started making custom handrails. First victim was an Atlas GP50 which has been bugging me with those fat rails since I detailed it a few years ago. In this pic you can see the difference with the stock handrail coming out the back of the cab (project for next time)

Please…. help me… I can see lots of hours being sucked up into this… and malty beverages to keep from going insane. ( I mean the front hand rails where 3 IPA’s alone…)

Awesome!   Are those the GMM stanchions, and did you solder them?

BTW, you're pretty brave to start with an already-detailed loco!  ;)

Quote from: Yoda
Once you start down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.  Consume you it will!

Ed

Smike

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »
Thanks Ed K!
Yes Ed N those are Gold Medal stanchions, and soldered too. Bending over the tabs on the GM stanchions.... forgettaboutit... I used the method from a thread on Trainboard. At some point this week I'll throw together some of my observations so far.

Already detailed loco and adding handrails scary? You should see how close you need to get with the dremel grinder disk to it... . :scared:

I will fully admit, its partly your fault, in seeing you post some of your fantastic work. Um.. thanks   :-X ;)

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
Smike, what are you planning on doing for the two stanchions over the blower duct?  I don't think anyone makes any that long.
Aaron Bearden

Smike

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
For those I was planning on do the same thing I did with the front chain, just reuse the plastic parts. Those two I will leave in place and ACC glue the wire to them.

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:52 PM »
For those I was planning on do the same thing I did with the front chain, just reuse the plastic parts. Those two I will leave in place and ACC glue the wire to them.

Run the new handrail behind the plastic stanchion and when everything is lined up perfectly just touch the wire with the soldering iron. The wire will heat up and melt into the plastic stanchion. I did this on a couple of stanchions on the front and back porch of a GP30.

Nice job so far but be warned, once you start down this path, you can never look back at the stock stanchions and think they don't look more like HO scale size or larger ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:05:37 PM by skytop35 »
Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:30 AM »
I too went to springfield and came home with 100$ in tichy parts, mostly doors and windows for the cities I'll be scratchbuilding. I also got a middlesex manufacturing kit to destroy.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
I always put off looking at Weekend Update because I get so distracted by the parade of fine modeling on display here.  This week is no exception, from Scott's fine fleet (a level of effort I will aspire to in my fleet), to the twin BCR pikes, to Mark's epic C&W and MC's stunning Alameda module (for some reason I am always drawn to the fine weathering on the oil delivery truck).  It's also nice to see a healthy dose of Traincat's wares here, from MC's loading platform to Brian's auto truck & loader.  Sorry to blather on, but there's so much cool stuff here.

Smike, I admire you for taking on the handrails - you're doing a fantastic job.  I've forbade myself from going that route because I want a fleet and I don't have the patience to do that job 30+ times...  I still have a etched handrail project on the back burner that I'm hoping could be a decent shortcut (but Tehachapi is a higher priority right now).

-gfh

P.S. Check out Bernie and Mark's layouts in MRP2012.  Having seen Mark's layout a handful of times now, I didn't realize until reading the piece that it was a true mushroom design, with interleaved decks inside and out.  It's very well executed.