Author Topic: Trainworx TOFC yellow TT arrival imminent!  (Read 4332 times)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
Re: Trainworx TOFC yellow TT arrival imminent!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
Are the  ...  hitch base detials really cast-on?

Kind of like the BLMA spine hitches too, eh?  ;)

That detail, while nice, makes it a bit difficult to retrofit MLE collapsible hitches, for those so inclined.

-gfh

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:28:44 PM »
Kinda, knock-down spine car hitches don't have a base though, there's no screw... the F89J will have separate hitches, which have a base and screw etc.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
I got one in the 1970s scheme (I'm waiting on the 60s scheme which is coming) - some hasty pix:

Here it is coupled to a MT (bone stock) 89':

Another view:

And another

The car seems to be weighted nicely and looks pretty nice. The main thing I don't like it the parts cast in yellow plastic which have a bit of a translucent quality to them - I think I'm gonna have to paint those parts eventually.

Mark

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
I want to preface this with I have nothing against Trainworx, I am just sharing what I saw.  I was at my LHS yesterday to pick up the recently released Athearn PRR 53' GSC flatcars I had ordered, when I noticed he had a set of all six Trainworx 85 flatcars on the counter.  I already have these preordered through BLW, but I wanted to check out what will be coming my way this week from New Jersey.  I must say I was a little disappointed.  All six cars he had were damaged.  The damage ranged from broken couplers to broken hitches.  The nest these cars sit in is formed to hold the cars it place, but somehow all six cars had moved around in the jewel case, which caused the damage.  I don't know if it was bad packaging or rough handling during shipping.  I will be sure to inspect mine carefully when they arrive.  One other observation, I felt the yellow was applied a little thick, but I will wait until I receive my order from BLW for my final opinion.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
Mine was in perfect shape (granted a sample size of just 1) Also I noted how well it was packed, and in fact they used glued in foam inserts to hold the car snug in the plastic craddle. (thats a first that I've seen)

Yup plastic is a little off color, but I know of no manufacture that has found a great way to make non painted plastic match painted surfaces.  (Kato snow plows come to mind)

Wlal13again

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 09:00:45 PM »
Got mine today..not too shabby  ;)
You`ll never find a Philly cheese steak on a menu in Philadelphia. It`s called a cheesesteak and we all know where it`s from...

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
  I must say I was a little disappointed.  All six cars he had were damaged.  The damage ranged from broken couplers to broken hitches.  The nest these cars sit in is formed to hold the cars it place, but somehow all six cars had moved around in the jewel case, which caused the damage.  I don't know if it was bad packaging or rough handling during shipping.

I don't have the nest in front of me but the nest design did not properly anticipate end impacts. I saw a few where the car was "jolted" to the left (as viewing the top of the jewel case) - the result was that the center hitch was forced against the nest part resting on the deck of the flat - shearing the hitch off. This can be fixed in future runs by moving that nest "touch point" a bit more to the left (or something like that).

It's on my list to email Pat with my observations on the nest design.

Mark

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +195
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 11:53:23 PM »
I received the six cars I preordered from BLW on Monday.  I am very happy to report they all arrived in excellent condition.  The cars did not move around in the jewel cases during transit, so nothing was broken.  They look fantastic.  It looks like the ones I saw at my LHS were an anomaly.  Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 12:40:07 AM »
Hey, hey, I can still hear you!!  :D

Joe

That's some serious hawtness...  Makes the MTL car look like a cartoon.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +290
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 05:58:41 AM »
Hey, hey, I can still hear you!!  :D

Joe

It was harsh, but probably fair. The MTL flat hasn't been touched in twenty years, which is more than enough time to at least offer a Twin 45 version, let alone a Triple 28 unit.

Joe, we both know there are opportunities for MTL in the 89' flat car race - a new deck for the flush deck flat before Atlas gets their car to market or a new never-done-in-N release, such as an F89F...which offers a myriad of paint schemes and load opportunities for MTL.

Just let us know if you need anyother help.....
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 10:30:54 AM »
Thanks James, I appreciate the offer...will take you up on it.  It's always difficult to get everyone on board to go back and improve/fix stuff that are years old.    But Dave is correct, it needs updating.   I'd love to be able to have the different decks for it...even proposed doing an insert (new Hot Half) to create a wreck flat so I had a place to put all those off prints and rejects from decorating  :D

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
Delayed from a mixup with shipping, mine arrived this morning. Nice stuff. I haven't opened all six yet, but it looks like two have the aforementioned problem with the broken center pedestal.

What bugs me a little is that these cars were obviously oversubscribed, for yet another instance of pre-order you-snooze-you-lose. MBKlein sold out in hours. Was Trainworx being too conservative in running confirmed orders only? Maybe due to the promise of the still undelivered BLMA flats? As soon as the shops put up the pre-orders for the brown version I'm in for six, and maybe they'll have learned their lesson about the pent-up demand.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
I'm excited, I found that MBK had a few left. I had missed them and was afraid I was stuck out in the cold.

They only let you order 2 though.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Trainworx-N-p/twx-28545-04.htm

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
My LHS here in SE pa has a couple if anyone is stuck let me know.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »

Question: Do both of these need to be lowered? Can't remember if the MTL 89' ride height is ok.

Mark