Author Topic: Atlas announces new PS-1  (Read 7393 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5378
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Atlas announces new PS-1
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Mark, this has body mounts.  The trucks don't enter into it.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

crencs

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
Interestingly, the stirrups on that preproduction model PS-1 box car must be fairly durable, because one is bent almost to a 40 or 45 degree angle and hasn't yet broken off.

Just a matter of time - hairline crack at the bent. Guess someone manhandle the model  :facepalm:
Craig K.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »
You could always use the time to build a layout, Bry... :trollface:

One with wheels, for sure. I just used a portion of my layout money as down payment for a new car, after getting run off the road in Fells and leaving the old one badly injured; and new wheels are a must first. It sucks having limited funds. You now that?  :trollface:
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7938
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 11:05:59 AM »
Those look nice.

I'm looking forward to some later era schemes on em too. I've seen a surprising number still kicking around in the late 70s.

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »
I notice from the photographs that like the venerable Micro-Trains car, this model will have welded sides.  Did any PS-1 production have riveted sides?  I ask this because for Canadian modellers it is the only significant difference I can think of between a U.S. PS1 and the NSC 40 foot boxcar, especially if they are planning to offer the eight foot YSD door as seen on the display board behind the model.  I will be interested to see the ride height which is a major drawback with the Micro-Trains car.  Well done Atlas!

Tim, C&NW had a sizable fleet (1,000) of riveted PS1s (they also had welded seam cars from the NH), and at least one other road had rivets too - maybe the Soo Line or UP (from memory). The proto model's still steaming from being popped out of the mold and I am already mulling over knifing off the weld lines and replacing them with Archers rivets to get a handful of C&NW variety for my grain fleet...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
Finally, right Jason?

http://www.model160.com/2012/01/28/springfield-2012-atlas-announces-new-ps-1-boxcar-tooling/

We'll actually no.  :)

Please tell someone there that this car should have low mounted tack board on the ends. 

Based on the sil tabs this is a later PS-1, around 1954.  To Back date to ~'48 you only need to make new sil tabs (like the MTL ones).  To go back to '47, you remove the 5 squares at the tops of the ends and again, new sils, this time with a poling pocket.  You would also need a new ladder.

I'm sure I missed something.

Thank you Atlas, I can now obsess about something else.

Jason

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 11:31:52 AM »
Since it doesn't appear to have opening doors, are the doors a seprate piece applied to the side or are they molded into the side?
Tony Hines

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
Okay, so reading the announcement, it looks like they are doing the early and late roof.

So what I take from this is that they've decided to represent all versions of this car using this base model and that the roof is the only detail that they are going to change.  So when they do the 10 stiffener roof, the sil and end ladders will be wrong and it will be missing the poling pockets etc.

So no big deal on the tack boards, it's in the most common spot, just not where it's supposed to be for this particular car.

Again, big thanks to Atlas.  I'm going down stairs right now to separate out my MTL cars.  Sell the Black labels, scrap the rest.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:03:18 PM by wcfn100 »

dieselfan1

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
Tough crowd here. You guys should be happy that anything new comes around nowadays. I thought this was a hobby to relax and enjoy. Not nitpick about every little tiny detail that the common man would never know the difference about. You guys take all the fun out it sometimes. ......Rivet counters :RUEffinKiddingMe:

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »
You guys take all the fun out it sometimes.

I know the feeling.

Jason

sirenwerks

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
Tough crowd here. You guys should be happy that anything new comes around nowadays. I thought this was a hobby to relax and enjoy. Not nitpick about every little tiny detail that the common man would never know the difference about. You guys take all the fun out it sometimes. ......Rivet counters :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Perhaps the way the world walks all over people these days, having extreme control - like the correct number, placement, etc. of rivets, tackboards, etc. - provides the greater sense of relief/relaxation, the same brand of enjoyment being sold 1/2@a$$ crap has for you.

You know... Bachmann just released a new box car, go for it, Cat Daddy.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5378
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

Have you actually read through any of the threads here?  We ARE a tough crowd.
But in a nice sort of way. :ashat:

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
You guys should be happy that anything new comes around nowadays.

Do you work for Walthers?   :trollface:

On a serious note, this level of concern regarding prototype fidelity is a large part of why you can buy such top-quality N scale equipment these days.

You guys take all the fun out it sometimes. ......Rivet counters

This statement confuses me.  Call me crazy, but isn't the Railwire a forum for people who care about prototype fidelity?  Granted, I personally won't be offended by the minor differences in variations on this new PS-1; the car itself represents enough increase in fidelity to scratch my itch.  However, I think it's awesome that guys are pushing the envelope so far that they do care. 

Some of us really do want our little trains to look as much like the big ones as possible.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:47:43 PM by Dave Vollmer »

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »
Have you actually read through any of the threads here?  We ARE a tough crowd.
But in a nice sort of way. :ashat:

Lee

Exactly. And for the record, I'm probably the happiest guy there is right now.  Sure, there's is still a little work to do to get the model I want.  But Atlas has provides an excellent core to start with that will make 98% happy as is.  And in N scale, that's about all you can ask for.

Plus, I had to find something wrong to maintain my street cred.

Score one more for procrastination!

Jason
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:53:25 PM by wcfn100 »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +531
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »
Plus, I had to find something wrong to maintain my street cred.

Lol, nice!