Author Topic: Conrail GP38-2  (Read 3135 times)

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
Conrail GP38-2
« on: January 27, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »
So I decided to model a rust bucket GP38-2 that seemed to be plentiful back in 1998.  I'm still more comfortable using washes and chalks for weathering since I can shake with a little water and alcohol to remove any screw ups, but I've also moved into more lasting paints.  Please let me know what you think and any advice for improvements.  Yes, the picture quality isn't the best.  Might be able to change that if the sun decides to make an appearance this weekend.

Some things I didn't notice before are the steps.  Don't know how I neglected to hit the steps, but that'll be corrected this weekend for sure.  Need to add a Mu Cable and wind screens as well.

Thanks,
Brian

I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
Re: Conrail GP38-2
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
That's looking good, but I would have some additional rust and scorching around the dynamic brake housing, as those areas get hot.

Eric

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »
And if the roof was really that rusty, I'd expect to see it streaked down the sides more.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
And if the roof was really that rusty, I'd expect to see it streaked down the sides more.

I agree.  My first reaction was that the weathering on the horizontal surfaces looks good, but there's too much contrast to the cleanliness of the vertical surfaces.  A little more weathering, fading, or even wearing through of the logos/roadname/road numbers/etc. on the sides will make this really good model into an outstanding model.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »

Normally, I would agree, but for whatever reason the Conrail units didn't do that.  I couldn't link the picture I used earlier, but I can now since I'm home and can use Firefox...  Just ignore the really faded paint on 8182 as I didn't want to go that far....yet...

http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp382/cr8182ef.jpg

8199 started showing the same symptoms, clean car body and good logos, horizontal surfaces going away quickly...: http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp382/cr8199ef.jpg

Brian
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:00:25 AM by flight2000 »
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »
Normally, I would agree, but for whatever reason the Conrail units didn't do that.  I couldn't link the picture I used earlier, but I can now since I'm home and can use Firefox...  Just ignor the really faded paint as I didn't want to go that far....yet...

http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp382/cr8182ef.jpg

8199 started showing the same symptoms, clean car body and good logos, horizontal surfaces going away quickly...: http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp382/cr8199ef.jpg

Brian

Well Brian I sit corrected!  Wonder why that was - KCS never had that issue in its white paint days, and I would have expected it.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
Well Brian I sit corrected!  Wonder why that was - KCS never had that issue in its white paint days, and I would have expected it.

One of our Conrail experts might be able to chime in with a theory.  It's amazing looking through photos from the mid-90's and seeing the different variety of rust patterns from engine to engine.  It's really weird to see. 

Then you have this one caught in 1998  :facepalm: : http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp382/cr8173cf.jpg

Brian

P.S.  I really like the Hays Bros signal boxes...  :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:17:35 AM by flight2000 »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8034
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »

Yeah, that roof rust was a real head scratcher. It did seep down occasionally, but often not.

And you'll notice it it's often local power that had it. One of the theories I've heard is that the rust patina isn't actually the locomotive itself rusting, but that it was settled brake shoe dust. Apparently CR ordered a special high-iron brake shoe for its locomotives. Now, that theory hasn't been vetted, but it's something I've heard.

What's strange is that in many cases, it really does look like someone masked off the roof and painted it with rust.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1296
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »
Brian,
Overall it's looking really good.
You said that the pic quality wasn't the best.  On my screen the RED is really showing through.  I saved a copy and ran it through a photo editor and removed some of the RED.

The Trees, the riprap and rust looked like they were glowing.  Is this closer to the real thing?

A couple of things that I would try because the tone of the rust looks a little too even.
1- On the angled section of the roof, add a little bit of darker brown powder, start in the middle and work your way out about 2/3 of the way.  Give it a little color variance.
2 - Maybe take a little medium to light gray and tone down the big logo just a bit so as to remove the starkness of the white.
3 - Do this to the handrails as well, maybe take some dark gray or the brown and give the handrails some chips and wearing effects.  nscalemike suggested this on my CR U-boat, and it made a big difference.

Other than that, I think you've nailed the look!

crencs

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
Brian,
I think it looks great!  My only comments would be the fuel tank.  The external sides of the tank are weathered but the side facing the truck doesn't appear to have any in the picture.  (Doesn't match up to the grim on the sides)  Other than that - nice job!

Craig...
Craig K.

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I fixed the fuel tank and the steps, just couldn't take another picture because I think the sun hates us right now.  Still haven't seen it in about 2 weeks...  :oops: 

I left the handrails and logo alone because the picture of the prototype I'm using and the look I'm going after has perfectly painted white handrails and zero degradation of the logo (go figure...).

Brian
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:40:16 AM by flight2000 »

bigford

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
first off if your painting that means your back home safe
from the sandbox!!  :D second forget blue and stick with black :o
but the CR looks great

flight2000

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »
first off if your painting that means your back home safe
from the sandbox!!  :D second forget blue and stick with black :o
but the CR looks great

Yep, I'm back...  :D  Actually, I got back last summer (late July) and then promptly moved the family to Germany.  I have a great house and setup over here, so painting and everything else is back to normal. 

I'm bleeding Blue now.  It all started that way back in 1985, so it's appropriate that I go back...  ;)  The black locos were running a little further North along the shoreline where I lived, so didn't see them all that much.

Thanks,
Brian

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
The rust looks great, but my eye was drawn to the prototypes splotchiness in the blue, especially right behind the can opener. It's not fading in the way most paints would, even and highlighted at bends and seams. Maybe some intentionally uneven fade coats of white?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.