Author Topic: Catching up on late projects  (Read 910 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Catching up on late projects
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:26:26 PM »
My main train room focus this month is clearing out the backlog of projects I have lying around.  it does two things - one, frees workbench space for other projects, and two, allows me to finally weed out unused supplies that need to move on to other homes.  Plus it puts a lot of rolling stock back into service.

I got three of Bryan's excellent laser cut GSC replacement decks from this thread (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=23347.0) and want to put them in in the next day or two.  but before I do, a "I'm a tad process challenged here" question - how the bloody heck to you remove the decks from the Walters cars, and what needs to stay in place for the deck parts to  work.  Lots of folks posted pics of the cars completed, but I don't recall seeing any in process.

Lee,
you may now commence ribbing vis rock-headed federal employees.

DFF,
Please fell free to post Snowpocalypse pics of working on Lee's layout proving same thickheadedness.

That is all.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Catching up on late projects
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »
The only way to remove the decks on the Walthers car is to mill them off, as the body is completely diecast.  I milled one years ago and abandoned it when the Athearn model was released.  The Athearn model has plastic decks that you can pop off the diecast frame from below.  It's also the better cast model of the two, although the Walthers color and deco for Pennsy is better.  Better to retire the Walthers cars and pick up three Athearn cars instead, which is the model the laser-cut decks were designed for.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »
Bryan,
Thanks - I actually meant Athearn cars, but with two kids (out of the 4) under age 3, I am not sleepingmuch so my typing skills are a tad off.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
Then you're good to go.  Just use a pencil or screwdriver to pop the plastic from below, and clean up the excess cement from the frame after they are out.  The main deck is slightly long due to the inconsistency in Athearn's paint thickness, so just file either end until it fits.  The corner pieces should just drop in.  I stained my decks with inks to age them, but that or paint works fine.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net