Author Topic: RP materials; resolution vs. cost.  (Read 1545 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
RP materials; resolution vs. cost.
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Not wanting to hi-jack Bryan's WT thread, where is RP compared to five years ago?

I had some parts made by Mark4 which were really nice.  But I know a lot has changed.  I have an account on Shapeways but haven't been in a real hurry to have any parts made because of the rendering issues people are having.

So where are we at with resolution vs. cost?  How does the Projet 3000 Plus Bryan mentioned compare to what Mark uses/used?

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: RP materials; resolution vs. cost.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
It's probably on par with the PerFactory resin.  The stepping on slightly sloped sections (such as freight car and caboose roofs) is so slight that you could get away with not sanding it out.  I'm still trying to perfect the P-S 1944 caboose (NH NE5), and it's close using this process.  I may end up using brass insets for the sides and ProJet relief regarding that particular model and other caboose models, we'll see.  But I think we're at the point where, as far as making casting masters is concerned, this is the best stuff yet.  And technology-wise we as a hobby are very very close to being able to use full RP masters for resin casting purposes.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:51:11 PM »
And technology-wise we as a hobby are very very close to being able to use full RP masters for resin casting purposes.

The Kaslo SDP40F was done this way...

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1241
    • Modutrak
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »

The Kaslo SDP40F was done this way...

Many O and S scale detail parts are being done this way, as well as RP to lost wax brass.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »
Well, what way?

What materials or processes are good enough at this point to make masters?

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:35:03 PM »
The ProJet3000+ XHD resin definitely is.  The PerFactory red resin definitely is.  There probably are others as well.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »
Okay, thanks, so I haven't missed too much.

I was watching your efforts with Shapeways and was hoping to piggyback on whatever success you had their.  Since that hasn't really panned out with the rendering issues, I'm just curious as to what else there might be that I had not heard of.

Jason

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »
A slight digression if I may.....

What options are out there for contract designers/engineers etc to utilise these new technologies for those of us that don't have the time to learn and play in CAD/CAM software? Especially ones that know N scale manufacturing tolerances....

Modeling time versus software learning time is a tough decision when "time" is limited and therefore precious.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 08:44:11 PM »

What options are out there for contract designers/engineers etc to utilise these new technologies for those of us that don't have the time to learn and play in CAD/CAM software? Especially ones that know N scale manufacturing tolerances....

The Shapeways forum has a 'Modeler for Hire' section.

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=98&

Maybe worth a browse through.

I know when I was teaching 3D animation, you could find tons of modelers who work work for next to nothing just to get experience.  Maybe solid modeling has something similar.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:36:23 PM »
Okay, thanks, so I haven't missed too much.

I was watching your efforts with Shapeways and was hoping to piggyback on whatever success you had their.  Since that hasn't really panned out with the rendering issues, I'm just curious as to what else there might be that I had not heard of.

Don't give up on the material just because Shapeways isn't panning out as expected.  The place I'm contracting now is using the higher resolution, and the pricing isn't bad because they aren't rush jobs and get squeezed in when appropriate.

I just got an email from Fine N Scale on the gons.  I'm told the castings look good as far as the resolution is concerned.  A minor issue regarding the molds on the inside of the gons, which we will address on the second attempt.  So, an unexpected setback, but nothing that will derail the project.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
More info on those gons?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »
Don't give up on the material just because Shapeways isn't panning out as expected.  The place I'm contracting now is using the higher resolution, and the pricing isn't bad because they aren't rush jobs and get squeezed in when appropriate.

It's not really that I'm giving up on Shapeways. I'll probably make a few parts to try it for myself that are't high dollar items.  And if any of them turn out well, I put them up for sale.

I have an end game here that requires 6-7 different shells that I'm going to want to the highest possible quality so I'm just trying to keep up to date with the technology as I can.

So in case I've never said it,thanks for sharing your efforts here.  It really helps a guy like me that doesn't know anything about the technical side of this from wasting a bunch of time or making a huge mistake cost-wise.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:57:34 PM by wcfn100 »

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »
More info on those gons?

I sneak-peaked them in the last Weekend Update, and the pilot models will be on display in Springfield.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
I have an end game here that requires 6-7 different shells that I'm going to want to the highest possible quality so I'm just trying to keep up to date with the technology as I can.

I'm in the same boat.  As with your favorite road, mine doesn't have many road-specific models either ... even though there have been a handful of NH prototypes appearing in recent years, it just scratches the surface.  Especially with motive power and varnish.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net