Author Topic: Painting Brass signal bridge  (Read 1412 times)

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
Painting Brass signal bridge
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:03:32 PM »
I am finishing up a TrainCat lines west signal bridge and was wondering if spray painting it with a flat black (such as Home Accents spray paint) would be ok if I do it in quick passes. The bridge is assembled with Zap A Gap so I can't bake it like the instructions say to for those who use solder for assembly.
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 02:06:01 PM by unittrain »

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Painting Brass signal bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Seems 
a shame to paint something with excellent detail using hardware store paint.  Get yourself some Floquil or Scalecoat spray and do a proper job...
Support fine modeling

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
Seems 
a shame to paint something with excellent detail using hardware store paint.  Get yourself some Floquil or Scalecoat spray and do a proper job...

Or Tamiya.

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
+1 regarding Tamiya.  It's rock-solid paint, and my go-to when I don't need a 100% match for a railroad color.  They make a variety of dark greys and blacks that would work great.

Frank

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:35:38 AM »
Make sure you totally de-grease it before you paint it.  I use rubber cement thinner/remover made by Union Rubber, Inc. called Bestine which is pure N-Heptane. It's harmless to plastics and CA and epoxy glues.  It stinks but is fairly benign (about like Methanol) and evaporates extremely quickly.  However, it's extremely flammable, so use caution. You can buy it at Michaels.  Ask for "Bestine" rubber cement thinner and they'll know what you're talking about.

I've built a Traincat UP cantilever signal bridge and I soldered it together with my resistance solderer.  I used my airbrush to paint it and carefully applied a smooth, thin coat of Polly Scale Flat Aluminum, which I then cured with a hair dryer set on HIGH.

Interestingly, the rivet detail was almost obscured by this carefully applied coat of model paint because it is barely there to begin with. 

I would hesitate to use anything other than "model" paint because it is designed with finely ground pigments to both cover well but not obscure details. Any paint you buy at The Home Depot, Wal Mart or Lowes would be a no-no on any Traincat model in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Bob Gilmore
Modeling the UP in 1951 between Ogden and Wahsatch
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:53:58 AM by robert3985 »

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:52:47 AM »
Thanks for the input I will have to purchase a new airbrush as I want to have all the fine detail showing. These are really nice kits 8) Also will look for the de-greaser.