Author Topic: EP5 shell?  (Read 1219 times)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
EP5 shell?
« on: January 06, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
I suppose there might be some here potentially interested in this, I think this is new.  I am well trained now, I actually read posts with Conrail or PC in the topic  :ashat:

http://www.nscale.net/forums/showthread.php?24265-For-the-New-Haven-PC-Conrail-runners

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: EP5 shell?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
I have no doubt he can design a bodyshell.  Except that a shell is pointless without a planned mechanism for it.  Both have to be designed simultaneously, or the shell has to be designed for a specific mechanism.  Otherwise there is no way to plan for attaching the shell securely to the mechanism.

I have an EP5 of my own ready to go.  But I'd rather concentrate on the EP3, EP4 and EF4 before the EP5.  I'm in the process of testing with the ProJet XHD resin, which is double the resolution of the Shapeways FUD.  If that is successful, then I'll be building some New Haven electrics before the year is out.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:17 PM »
Are you planning on using the Kato GG1 under the EP3 and EP4?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »
GG1 components.  New mechanism frames have to be fabricated, as well as new pilot truck frames.  The hard part on the EP4 is getting a clean RP shell, given all the compound curves.  The hard part with the EP3 is tracking down one of the brass Overland HO models to verify the body dimensions.  If I had that, I could get a DCC-functioning EP3 complete before summer.  Also need bells from the Kato Mikado detail parts, but that doesn't prevent the engine from running.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net