Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/18/11  (Read 18427 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Weekend Update 12/18/11
« on: December 17, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »

Rumour has it Richie is still trapped in the kitchen......have at it gents !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Puddington

• Crew
Re: Weekend Update 12/18/11
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »
Well, that "Richie" feeling stayed strong this week so I once again tried emulating the trailer king and worked on a number of Canadian trailers for TOFC service....

First up was a Carling O'Keefe Breweries trailer...

I fondly remember Carling O'Keefe because my father serviced their Etobicoke brewery in the 60's and 70's as a packaging technical mamager... we always had cases of O'Keefe Ale, Red Cap and Black Label ("...Hey Mabel, Black Label !") around the house.... Without an Alps I couldn't replicate the nose print but the rest of the trailer worked out fairly well...

Next I added a "common" Canadian trailer, seen since the 1960's; a "Canada Cartage" van. CC served our Domtar locations in Ontario for years and we had a great relationship with their management and drivers. They knew our clients like they were their own. I remember that every year there would be a "show" made at Christmas of CC offering our managers a turkey or ham, but everyone knew that they would refuse them so the owners of CC could donate them to a local shelter on our behalf.... nice..

Finally I modeled a Silverwoods Dairy reefer trailer.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/martin_phippard/slides/70s/file0016.jpg

While clearly not the same trailer, I can recall seeing the more modern Silverwoods trailers on highways until their amalgamtion into Labatts and Ault Foods in the mid 80's.

My odd connection with Silverwoods is my local Air Force Association of Canada Wing. Our home at 428 Wing is a century home right in the downtown of Peterborough. We bought it in 1960; renovated the huge livery stables attached to the back into a 120 person hall and the hay loft above into Air Cadet offices and training rooms... the house had been owned by Silverwoods dairy and was used to house their milk wagons....

More trailer fun is on the bench as I type......

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:02:43 PM by Puddington »
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »
Nice trailers pud!

I got a little more done on my HO RS3m. Still some more painting and decalling to do, and then I can start reassembling it.
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
I managed to get a little work in this week. The ROW has been pushed east out of California and into Colorado (read: around the end of the peninsula), courtesy of the Gandy Dancers.

I also went back and laid down some more track. The eastbound main has almost come even with the end of the staging yard on the westbound main.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 05:17:44 PM »
Pud:

Very nice work on the trailers and well photographed as always, but you are not allowed to have all the Canadian trailer fun!

A CN tractor served the NAR freight shed in Dawson Creek, so I recently finished a CN tractor trailer:

Also finished a trio of bulldozers for the layout:

Recent progress on outfit car #2 includes the 24" square louvred vent on the right side, and preparation of grab irons and ladders:

Here is outfit car #3 with the sides added to the inside ends/floor assembly:

And with the Intermountain outside ends and roof test-fitted:

Outfit car #4 has been waiting for a parts order from Intermountain which is now three months overdue, but friend and fellow forumite Andrew Hutchinson has kindly loaned me the elusive diagonal panel roof which will allow me to get going on the sides and outside 'A' end:

Two weeks of holidays commence today, during which I hope to get back to tracklaying as well as push these projects toward completion.

Tim

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:19:54 PM by BCR 570 »
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »
Nice work Pud , and thanks for starting the thread , it had slipped my mind with all this kitchen & Living room crapola .

Richie Dost

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
Knew you'd have to get in on the Canadian trailer fest ! Nice CN unit; I have to add a couple of CN units, regardless of my loathing..... :-X I'm working on some more obscure CPR units.

Tell me; how did you get the round corners so perfect on the windows in that outfit car; even with the window ledge/molding, it looks perfect........inquiring minds want to know !

Nice work !

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
This week I helped set up the annual Festival of Trains w/ the boys (and gal) of BANTRAK in the B&O Museum in the roundhouse.

more pics here
https://picasaweb.google.com/SeussCaboose/BOFOT2011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

EP
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
Spent some time breaking in the new Bachmann RS-3 that arrived courtesy of Santa Bob....

I'm working on a full breakdown of my impression of it.  Stay tuned.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »
Excellent, maybe I'll get to build this one.

Ack!  At that price, probably not in the next decade.  Wish I still had my Atlas RS3.  Oh well, I shall have to live vicariously though you, Lee.

UPDATE: Actually, I see that elsewhere, the street price is under $70, so that's not too bad.  But since A) I won't be using DCC any time soon, and B) I don't have any money anyway, maybe some day I'll find an Atlas DC-only one.  Still, it sure does look nice!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 09:09:34 PM by pwnj »

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
Well, that "Richie" feeling stayed strong this week so I once again tried emulating the trailer king and worked on a number of Canadian trailers for TOFC service....

First up was a Carling O'Keefe Breweries trailer...

- snip -

Without an Alps I couldn't replicate the nose print but the rest of the trailer worked out fairly well...

- snip -

Mike,

From the comment, it sounds as if you need to get a white logo on the front of the trailer.  If that is the case, you might look into a product I came across this afternoon while perusing the Railroad Model Craftsman site.  There is an article in their "Extra Board" section that describes the use of an ink-jet decal product which has a decal film that dries white anywhere it is not printed.  The article, http://www.rrmodelcraftsman.com/extraboard/cm_extra_whitedecalpaper.php describes its use for obtaining white lettering on a tender by printing a black rectangle around the lettering and then trimming as closely as possible to the lettering before applying the decal.  Presumably any other colour could be printed as a background for the white.  The decal film is clear when wet but dries white - takes about half an hour according to the article.  The downside is that "Dullcote" fades the white.

Anyway, it sounds like another tool to add to the arsenal!

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly
Burnaby, BC

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »
Too bad they don't show a close up of the tender to see how rich the printed back is. A white text is nice but if the surrounding color is so awfully unmatched to the paint the effect will be offset.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
hmmmmmmm.... thanks Greg...looks interesting.....

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
Mike,

From the comment, it sounds as if you need to get a white logo on the front of the trailer.  If that is the case, you might look into a product I came across this afternoon while perusing the Railroad Model Craftsman site.  There is an article in their "Extra Board" section that describes the use of an ink-jet decal product which has a decal film that dries white anywhere it is not printed.  The article, http://www.rrmodelcraftsman.com/extraboard/cm_extra_whitedecalpaper.php describes its use for obtaining white lettering on a tender by printing a black rectangle around the lettering and then trimming as closely as possible to the lettering before applying the decal.  Presumably any other colour could be printed as a background for the white.  The decal film is clear when wet but dries white - takes about half an hour according to the article.  The downside is that "Dullcote" fades the white.

Anyway, it sounds like another tool to add to the arsenal!

Cheers,
Greg Kennelly
Burnaby, BC

Hmmm white magic . Will clear flat fade the white , and how much ?

Richie Dost