Author Topic: Atlas December Listings  (Read 6234 times)

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
Re: Atlas December Listings
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
Why?  Because an N scale model automatically should be 54% of what the HO model cost?  Z scale is more expensive than both of them.

I'm surprised N scale isn't more expensive overall now.  Less circulation, equally labor-intensive, equal effort regarding tooling work, not much less in regard to material usage.

Interesting point.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2011, 06:39:36 PM »
I'm surprised N scale isn't more expensive overall now.  Less circulation, equally labor-intensive, equal effort regarding tooling work, not much less in regard to material usage.

Well actually by scale alone, N is only 16% the size of HO (it takes 6.25 N scale cars to take the space of one HO car).   Even with adjustments for tolerances not scaling down, that's still a pretty significant number for some of the raw materials isn't it?

In the case of the EXR hoppers, the N scale box is 21% the volume of the HO box.  That has to count in shipping, warehousing and especially retail space.

If HO is 3x times more popular but takes up 5x more retail space, then 2x the cost over N seems like a good number (edit: I'm getting 1.67x).

I know there has to be an equation here.

Anybody good at math?  :P

Jason
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:59:19 PM by wcfn100 »

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
N scale = 2 X HOFun

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
Lim    f(x) = Bullsh!t
x->0   

where f(x) = x * (Nnew releases this month + (NNumber of months since last new release + HOnew releases this month)-1)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:40:58 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
LOL  +1

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
N scale = 2 X HOFun

Actually, isn't N-scale  160/87 **2 ???  =  3.13 or approximately, wait for it  -   HO(PI)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
I swore off ever reponding to these speculatory threads again and already violated this oath...

It is what is is!

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
 :lol: 

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
Did I win? I feel like I won.

Jason

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2011, 08:54:52 AM »
"Cost is the result of how well you beat the hell out of your supply chain, how much less you can get your labour to work for and how good your accountants and eventually, your lawyers are..... Price is the maximum you can convince the masses they should pay for your "must have" product....the two have virtually no relation to each other, and nor should they"....R Douglas Gayman, CA - Vice President of Marketing for a large Canadian Paper Company.

Doug has it right.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
"Cost is the result of how well you beat the hell out of your supply chain, how much less you can get your labour to work for and how good your accountants and eventually, your lawyers are..... Price is the maximum you can convince the masses they should pay for your "must have" product....the two have virtually no relation to each other, and nor should they"....R Douglas Gayman, CA - Vice President of Marketing for a large Canadian Paper Company.

Doug has it right.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Thanks for that one.

Frank
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
"Cost is the result of how well you beat the hell out of your supply chain, how much less you can get your labour to work for and how good your accountants and eventually, your lawyers are..... Price is the maximum you can convince the masses they should pay for your "must have" product....the two have virtually no relation to each other, and nor should they"....R Douglas Gayman, CA - Vice President of Marketing for a large Canadian Paper Company

UNTIL it comes time to report your earning and then they are directly related to each other. Mr. VP marketing will never make it to CEO.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
...he already has.....and I agree wholeheartedly with him.... price is what the market will accept.... if that is sufficentlt above cost, you make the product... if it isn't, then you don't. Just because soemthing costs "x" doesn't mean the market will accept "x" plus....ergo, products either don't get to market, or get there in lower quality....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!