Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/4/11  (Read 8470 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 12/4/11
« on: December 03, 2011, 12:23:11 AM »
Due to Kitchen and Living Room remodeling , the fun modeling is side tracked for a while . 

Richie Dost

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 12/4/11
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
My outfit car campaign continues:

Car #1 - side sills modified to match prototype (some material removed, some added using strip styrene), holes for grab irons drilled, grab irons, ladders, sill steps, roof vents and running boards prepared for installation:

Car #2 - side openings for intakes and exhausts cut out and framed with strip styrene, outside ends attached permanently, grab irons and ladders prepared for installation:

Car #3 - inside ends attached to floor (replacement for the Intermountain body), grab irons and ladders prepared for installation:

Car #4 - STILL waiting for parts from Intermountain (sigh).  If anyone has an undecorated unpainted unaltered Intermountain 40' diagonal panel roof, I would love to hear from you!

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 08:29:01 PM »

Photos of lattice work at several places on second deck getting ready for plaster gauze, sculptamold, etc.

At Troup Junction on Nelson sub (east of Nelson)

At Kootenay River bridge on Boundary sub (west of Nelson)

and on the Slocan sub (North West of Nelson)

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
Decals nearly done.   Need to paint the anti-reflective hood and underframe of the C9-44CWL.  I put them on the layout to see how they would look.

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2429
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:30:02 AM »
New MR has a great article on workstation/workbench organization. The best I've
seen in years. It's from a Conrail modeler Matt Snell, who's NJ Conrail layout
rocks. Going to spend the morning with the first game organizing. Then working
on my backdrop.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Andrew Hutchinson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »
HI Tim,

I've got the roof you're after. We can settle up when your IM order comes in.

Nice Can-con again this week.

Andrew Hutchinson

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 01:15:36 AM »
Scott:

Very nice work on the CN units!  Well done and nice to see some CN modelling in N Scale.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
Finally finished construction of the Erie milk reefers.

I thought Chris would beat me to finishing his version of this project since it's his road, but he's been busy laying track all these months!  Would have had these painted this weekend if I didn't lose the ladder/brake/tackboard details from one of the 1932 ARA donor cars.  Waiting for an undec version #4 car from Atlas so I can finish painting and assembly before worrying about the decals.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »
Bryan, Thought you had finished those already.  I'm waiting for decals before I work on them...

Hey did you see in the latest MR they called a Erie milk car a "converted troop kitchen baggage car"   :RUEffinKiddingMe:

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 08:15:16 AM »
Chuck, at the risk of sounding too much like the "company man"...  head over to your local ReStore and see what they've got in the way of old computer desks.  Lots of compartments for organizing all the tidbits of our trade...

I'm working from said parts bin on salvaging an SD-35.  It's a Johnny Cash model...  I got it one piece at a time... :D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
..I'm working from said parts bin on salvaging an SD-35.  It's a Johnny Cash model...  I got it one piece at a time...

Did it cost you a Dime? *Rimshot*

Myself, Nothing really this weekend. I have been trying to put together a representation of the train with some of the Armor for my wife's unit when they left last year. I have had pretty good luck finding the correct cars, or close enough stand ins, But a few things still seem to avoid me, like 6 axel, non depressed center flatcars, and some of the vehicles, like HEMTT Fuelers and standard cargos, good Humvees in standard and Medic variations, and Bradleys. Pretty much I just need one of each, and I am going to try to cast copies for my own use.

I went to a Swap meet today, and found nothing I could use again, 3rd show in a row.  :facepalm:
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »
Scott, those CN units are slick!  So is the scene they ply in.

Great progress md - pretty soon your layout will be done - then what?  But one question: where is the crew supposed to put their drinks when the Kootenay River scene is done?

While we are outnumbered 10-1 by our neighbors to the south, we account for fully half of today's WU posts.  I'm so proud to be a Canadian.  ;)

-gfh

P.S. Big weekend at our house. More later.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
I have been trying to find the out of production IM RF&P FP7s for a long time.  Out of sheer luck, one popped up on MBK's website overnight as available.  Purchased.  Now, the RF&P F7B that I found on eBay at a really good price is no longer an orphan.  Looks like I'm becoming one of asshats that's joining the "dual-era layout" group.  I focus on the RF&P in 1983-86 (pre-CSX and in the Seaboard System era), but I am slowly amassing other equipment (RF&P and SCL) that fits in the 1960s era.  Sweet.

This will likely come as a surprise to many, but I also purchased my first pieces of Unitrack this morning.  For only about $20.00, I bought enough track to build a 22" x 40" loop for a test track.  For now, I will also use it to entertain my seven-year-old step-son... and me.  If it works out well enough, I may add to it and eventually build Tyler a small layout, if the model railroading bug bites him.

By the way, my wife and I are still on "baby watch."  Our daughter is due on December 8th, and my wife looks like she's ready to go at any minute.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »
Well I guess I will help even out the count a little. :D

Newest scratchbuild for the Z layout is this green metal sided factory.Have not decided what will be made there mbut got the notion that "Mann Made Models" might work.

Building has truck dock on this side with rail service on the other side.

I think I had forgotton how much fun scratch building really is,so far all of the industries are scratchbuilt.

One more thing Those CN units are awesome.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »
I have been laying cork in what was going to be my staging yard, but now will be my new 8 track passenger station.  The old passenger yard will be reconfigured and become the new staging yard.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr