Author Topic: Issue when running analog engines...  (Read 1103 times)

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
Issue when running analog engines...
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
So in cleaning up my layout to resume ballasting and building, I decided to pull out some of my old venerable Atlas lead-sled GP-35s which are still analog to run. I threw them on the track ringed in the double-ought, and turned up the throttle. An odd behavior occurred, they'd run, but movement was rapidly pulsed. My DCC loco's at the time were running without issue. The display on my DT402 also rapidly pulsed in time with the analog loco movement. When I would return the throttle to zero for the analog address the pulsing would stop. I didn't think to perform a full power-cycle...and I work with computers... :facepalm:. I'll try that tonight.

So I think this is something with the Command Station, just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

Thanks,
The S.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:46:45 AM by sizemore »

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Issue when running analog engines...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:35 PM »
Yes I did. I had the exact same thing happening and it was my throttle. Using wiThrottle solved it until I can buy a new throttle.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5418
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:36:26 AM »
I strongly recommend that you not run analog lokies on DCC.  Double ought or naught, the constant AC voltage coursing through the veins of the drive can cause serious damage to the motor, and if allowed to buzz long enough, you can melt your shell.

Don't ask me how I know this. :facepalm:

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
I strongly recommend that you not run analog lokies on DCC.  Double ought or naught, the constant AC voltage coursing through the veins of the drive can cause serious damage to the motor, and if allowed to buzz long enough, you can melt your shell.

Don't ask me how I know this. :facepalm:

Lee

Interesting. We did a test on Rick Spano's layout not long ago. We set up a variety of DC locomotives, representing a good cross-section of the manufacturers and motor types, and let them hum on the DCC signal continuously while we worked on the layout. Several hours later, we could not detect a rise in temperature in any of them. I have to wonder what was different in your case, Lee? Because it sure runs against the results of a fairly straightforward and practical test.

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
My experience was on the club layout at Delmarva, which operated with a Lenz system, I believe at 14v AC.  I had an Atlas GP40-2, and it was actually running, not sitting...  The shell crazed in the area of the motor, and one of the brushes melted into the plastic motor frame.  I was not pleased.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »
Wonder if it's due to some aspect of the Lenz system. Rick has DigiTrax, and we run DC locos all night long with no more heating than when running on an analog throttle.

Oh, BTW... [pedantic] It's not AC, but bi-polar DC. [/pedantic]

wm3798

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
That's probably a safe bet.  They've since replaced the Lenz rig with Digitrax to make the N scale compatible with the HO layout (for throttle swapping, trouble shooting and what not...)

I still don't like the sound of all that buzzing.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School