Author Topic: Boxcab for Chris... Boxcabs for ALL? BOXCABS! (did I mention boxcabs?)  (Read 2189 times)

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: 0
OK, rather than restart a thread that was started three years ago, and since I recently encouraged (read that: nudged, prodded, annoyed, etc.) Chris333 to finish his boxcab with a build challenge on another board, I thought I'd bring this topic back up and see where he was, as well as ask others about their boxcab projects (David K. Smith, did you ever get that Z-scale CNJ unit?) and maybe encourage more builds.  Why?  First, I like boxcabs.  B., there are very few commercially available boxcabs, and most aren't American prototypes.  And III, I like scratchbuilding/kitbashing/scratchbashing/etc. 

I'll start off with a little about my project.  I was working on a grand track plan (HCD and a half in an L-shape) that was coming along great, but I was quickly realizing that there was no way I would ever get around to building it, much less affording it.  So one day, while helping someone on the Z-scale forum design a little switching layout, I got an idea for a compact harbor switching layout with a car float

Well, you can't have a harbor layout without a boxcab, can you?  (It's a rhetorical question. I don't really care what your answer is, just accept it as fact for now.)  And since another member (both here and there) who shall remain nameless other than his first initial, and remaining characters (MC Fujiwara), cooked up an idea to turn it into a challenge, so who was I to disagree?  So, here it is, from start to finish.

Originally I was going to do a flat-sided car and add realistic photo sides to it.  This came from an RPO car I wasn't going to use (old ConCor car).

IDE (get it, IDE?) even done some of the rooftop details.  The "partsboxcab", as it became known, used a little bit of everything.  My budget sorta dictated that, so there you go.

I had a pair of these cabeese, so one was certainly an extra.  CHOP CHOP CHOP!

A little bit of work and off comes the cupola.  Wow, looking boxy already! :)

Shortened it a bit, after measuring, and remeasuring... and remeasuring my remeasurements.  Since I had yet to acquire a powered chassis for the project, I quickly put together a dummy chassis from the leftover caboose parts.  I also filled in the roof with some styrene, filed to match.  Then I cut out the doors and put them on the sides, filling the holes with more styrene.

I test fit all of the roof components, and wow, it's looking like a boxcab!

Since I was running this on less than a shoestring, I had to get mighty creative, even when it came to tools.  Did you know that Legos were so versatile?

Meanwhile, I was able to do a little horse-tradin' and got me a powered chassis.  The Kato 11-107 was a great starting point.  Just a few modifications and it fit right in.  Here it is, all put together.

Time for paint.  Gettin' there, but way too shiny.  A little dullcote and some chalks are up next.

But first, some weight.  The unit is too light on its own, so I chopped up the remaining weight from an old RSD-15 and started gluing it on.

Now that's more like it!  Here's the almost finished product, shown with some filth applied, and pulling the idler/reach gondola (also scratchbashed) and a CNJ boxcar.  I also added brake hoses and touched up some details.

And viola!  Instant boxcab... just add effort.  I still need to install the LED and some fiber optics for the headlight, and I need to print out the number boards on the laser printer.  But I'm quite happy with the results and this was a hugely fun project.

So, anyone else have a boxcab tale?

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
Re: Boxcab for Chris... Boxcabs for ALL? BOXCABS! (did I mention boxcabs?)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
No boxcab tale here ... but thanks for the step-by-step photos. You made it look and sound easy.

Jim

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:34:26 AM »
Thanks Jim.  It was actually a surprisingly easy build, especially since I've been out of modeling for over 15 years prior to this, and this was the most extensive scratchbash project I've ever tackled.  This is why I was originally going to do just a photos-on-flat-sides simple model, but I'm so glad I took a chance and tried it.  Can't wait to do more! :)

Anyone else?  DKS?  Chris?  Bueller?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +2429
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
Feb 2007 is when I uploaded my first boxcab chassis to youtube. So I have been working on it for a while. Back then I started drawing up the body in CAD and well it never got etched until this year. I tried to etch it myself, but the whole thing is half etched rivets.
Back then:

And now:

I even had one etched in Z scale:

I'm really in no hurry to work on it, but I am very happy to know I have the body solved.

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
Didn't even know you were working on a Z-scale version.  They look great!  Any photos of the N-scale one on your chassis?

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +442
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
And equally importantly Chris, how much would it cost for someone to get that N scale version in kit form from ya?
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
Yeah Chris, have you considered selling those as kits, or maybe teaming up with Lajos at L.G. Thek Brasswork to make them into kits and/or RTR trains?  They're absolutely awesome and there certainly seems to be a market for them.  And it wouldn't take much modification to make the different varieties of boxcab that they had (like the CNJ 1000 and the Harlem Transfer versions).

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:47 AM »
And equally importantly Chris, how much would it cost for someone to get that N scale version in kit form from ya?

Exactly what I was thinking.

The S.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »
I did sell the spare sheet and could always order more. It's not really a kit, but just some parts I use to scratchbuild one.  The etchings had the roof and both sides all together, but it was hard to bend the roof so I cut the sides from it and mad a new roof out of aluminum.

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
That is just awesome, Chris.  Still, you've already put this much effort into getting it this far, why not consider options?  Or maybe at least let people have access to the CAD drawings?  Regardless, I can't wait to see it finished.  You do excellent work.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
If you want the drawing PM me your address.

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
PM sent, thanks!

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
I have been wondering where the radiator coils had come from (been following the TB thread for a while now but missed that)... THANKS so very much for filling this little tidbit in!!!  I do appreciate it!!!

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
Glad to, Jerry.  Jon (hetek) used the same (I cut him a piece and mailed it to him when he asked what I used). :)