Author Topic: Caboose Ignorant  (Read 1325 times)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
Caboose Ignorant
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
OK, so I will likely end up buying one of the Bluford platform cabooses and I have a question that's for Craig but also maybe for the rest of you.  Didn't want to hijack the other thread so, here goes...

I'm thinking about electrical pickup, so I guess first question is...will these cabooses have that feature?  So, to be able to light the interior and/or end marker lamps, etc.   I'm not sure if that's standard issue now on cabooses or not. (Athearn?)   I'm thinking no, but just checking.   I picked up several of the Kato cabooses for cases such as this but then decided it was low priority for my one caboose I have, but now maybe I'm rethinking that.   Is the truck on the Kato the same style of truck that MoPac--for example--would have on their caboose?  Same question for a BN EV caboose?  Should I keep one or two of those Kato's instead of selling them?  (they are on the block right now)  I know there are other options too with pickup kits and metal wheelsets and so forth.   Just kinda curious what I should do...ultimately the question: is are the trucks prototypical for what amounts to two of the most recent cabooses produced.

I picked up an EOT-equipped car the other day off the N-Scale list and it sure is cool to have a lit EOT on a train.   Guessing the caboose would be equally cool.  (I know, I'm easily amused.  I have been accused of being part bug...."go to the light...")
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: Caboose Ignorant
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »
Ebay 
find seller little_zip.  Freight car and passenger car wheel wiper pickups.  Not yet a customer, although its very near the top of my to do list.  I'm planning to add lighting/transponding to my Athearn C50-* fleet this winter...
Support fine modeling

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
Here's a more direct link to his wiper kits for trucks.

Jon

http://stores.ebay.com/STREAMLINED-BACKSHOP-SERVICES/_i.html?_fsub=2206144018

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
What an ingenious niche business he seems to have developed.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Bluford Craig

• Crew
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
OK, so I will likely end up buying one of the Bluford platform cabooses and I have a question that's for Craig but also maybe for the rest of you.  Didn't want to hijack the other thread so, here goes...

I'm thinking about electrical pickup, so I guess first question is...will these cabooses have that feature?  So, to be able to light the interior and/or end marker lamps, etc.   I'm not sure if that's standard issue now on cabooses or not. (Athearn?)   I'm thinking no, but just checking.   I picked up several of the Kato cabooses for cases such as this but then decided it was low priority for my one caboose I have, but now maybe I'm rethinking that.   Is the truck on the Kato the same style of truck that MoPac--for example--would have on their caboose?  Same question for a BN EV caboose?  Should I keep one or two of those Kato's instead of selling them?  (they are on the block right now)  I know there are other options too with pickup kits and metal wheelsets and so forth.   Just kinda curious what I should do...ultimately the question: is are the trucks prototypical for what amounts to two of the most recent cabooses produced.

I picked up an EOT-equipped car the other day off the N-Scale list and it sure is cool to have a lit EOT on a train.   Guessing the caboose would be equally cool.  (I know, I'm easily amused.  I have been accused of being part bug...."go to the light...")
Hey Doug,
The new cabooses will not be equipped with lights but I agree those retro-fit kits or something like it would do the trick.
Craig