Author Topic: Is there an n scale container to match these ?  (Read 1345 times)

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Is there an n scale container to match these ?
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cp/cp303534jpa.jpg

I know nothing about containers - is there an RTR match for these (not the graphics, but the model) and/or a bashable one currently out there ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

pwnj

• Crew
  • The Resourceful Route!
  • Respect: +1
Re: Is there an n scale container to match these ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
Deluxe Innovations makes a 20-foot container that looks pretty close:

http://www.deluxeinnovations.com/rolling/rollingcontatwen01.html

And the Hyundai one is a reasonably close orange, too.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:13:29 PM »
Deluxe it is.  Here is a close-up of a 20-footer to help you decide:

The corrugations are rounder, and the doors are not corrugated.  But I won't tell anyone.  ;)

There is also an Arnold model available, but I haven't seen one in person, and they're very similar to the Deluxe model.

-Gary

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:44:25 PM »
Nice find, Pud. The DI 20' can is probably the best starting point, but the bottom is gonna be a scratch job... which you're more than qualified to tackle. Appears the cans were designed to be forklift friendly.

Who have thought back in 67 that the container would take over on CP? The interbox connectors are wasted on the flatcar... tie downs and wooden cribbing around the ends! They've come along way since that shot was taken.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
I see oddball stuff on eBay which I guess is mostly European stuff but you might search for "container" and see what comes up.   The DI one is probably a good starting point though.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +294
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
The Fine-N-Scale might be closer to the square corrugations:

http://www.finenscale.com/intermodal.html
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
You're not going to find anything in the Euro zone that's any closer as a starting point than the Deluxe model...

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 04:13:07 AM »
Well, that will be a lot of fun to model - I'd challenge you to a race but I know who would win  :)

How closely do you want to match the container? I rifled through my stash of various containers, and the Deluxe containers are of a newer prototype and will be too high, whereas the Arnold ones are closer in height but the ribs are too shallow, especially on the ends (I've not seen the Fine N Scale ones in person so can't comment on those).

The closest match I could find for the ribbing is the Walthers ribbed 40' high-cube... so, if you feel like doing some cutting and splicing, here's an idea: buy a couple and cut them down to size - as lock4244 mentioned, you'd need to rebuild the bootom edges anyway, and this would also give you some material to make the correct doors (I notice MBK are selling Itel and K-line schemes for half price).

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:41:32 AM »
The really oddball containers you'll see on ebay are the Japanese models, but the 1/150 scale problem is serious in front to back and side to side dimensions of these things....