eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
PRR K4
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
No, this is not another "WE WANT A K4" thread (although I do).  A few months ago, I picked up a Minitrix K4 on the 'Bay.  I sent it off to Max Magliaro for and upgrade, and I just got it back yesterday.  I was amazed at what that little locomotive could do!

The train that I assembled here was not intended to be in any way prototypical.  It was simply a pulling power test.  It includes all but three cars from my operable PRR passenger fleet.  I will admit that I gave it a little help (I pushed down on it a little to give it extra traction) through the 15-inch radius turnaround, but on relatively straight track, it started and pulled the train without assistance.  With two fewer cars, it ran without any slipping or assistance at all.

So much for the argument that an N Scale K4 wouldn't be able to pull a prototype length train.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Bremner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: PRR K4
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
wow, Max does great work! :o

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »
Truly the little engine that could. Impressive work by Max... should be designing N scale steam locomotives.

Am I the only one that was expecting Gen. Patton to appear at some point  ;)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »
After seeing Mark 1's K4 video last night on my DVR from RFDTV, I too am in the mood for one. I could also go for some B&M Berks...
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »
Impressive!

I have finally found my K-4 mechanisms (from Model Power a few years ago), but not the K4s yet (sorry, John R.), nor the controller for the Walthers TT. I'm afraid the controller, which was mounted on the edge of the fascia, is lost (sorry, Lee). The fascia for that part of the layout is nowhere to be found.

I believe the mechanisms were $9.99 a piece?

I'm not around much. Kay has had three operations on her eye in the past few months, and this latest has a 4- to 6-month recovery period, so we've both been occupied with that.

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
Nice work! Makes me want to finish up the SuperBerk!!!

The S.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »
wow. Awesome!
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »
wow, Max does great work! :o

Yes, he does.

Mark (the voice of experience) in Oregon

P.S: Sorry for being so late in "chiming in" on this...

Pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
I'm late in chiming in here too. But that was excellent video Eric. And I loved your choice of music.

Could you tell us how much max charges for this work and how long it took? And some close up pics of the engine & tender would be cool too.

TIA

Jim

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:51 AM »
Folks,
How much I charge for these jobs is usually customized based on exactly what the customer
wants done.  Rather than have somebody else be put on the spot to tell you what he paid, I will tell you
that it generally runs between $150 and $300, depending on features.  I can also tell you
that this isn't a "business", and these take a while to do, so I cannot do very many of them.

Beyond that, I think it best that people PM me if they want to discuss particulars.
Thank you.