Author Topic: Curved industrial staircases  (Read 1187 times)

Brewmaster

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Curved industrial staircases
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:38 AM »
I need to either buy or scratch build a modern industrial staircase of 2 1/4 in diameter.  I have a plan for scratch building but was wondering if anyone knew of  a place something could be purchased.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2102
Re: Curved industrial staircases
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:55:49 AM »
That sounds like a etched kit that could be laced on a brass rod . I bet one of the etchers that frequent this site will consider it as a product , an maybe be produce with a year . Is it the center pole or the hole down the center you are looking for ?

Richie Dost

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4209
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
Are you sure that doesn't exist already, either Plano or Gold Medal?
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Brewmaster

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:50:37 PM »
I have been looking but have not found it yet.  The type I am looking for is what would be used on the side of large tanks.  Gold Medal has straight ones that I may try to adapt.  I didn't see anything at Plano.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »
Neither GMM nor Plano do have Circular Stairs that Richie was talking about. The type you are talking about [on a tank] is a totally different animal. Circular Stairs around a single post is quite easy. Going around a tank diameter is a different story. The problem is that the stair treads start to get in the way of each other because of the diameters of the inner panel and the outer panel.

It can be done, I have done it. The caveat is that the stairs must be made exactly for the tank diameter you want to put them on. They can not be made for "general" use. I have wrapped one of my 7.5" stairs around a tank to try it. It did work, but looked real funky so I used shorter pieces and put landings between them.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
Brew

It didn't look to bad, but I used a PLASTRUCT plastic stair and railing.  Cut off the side of the stair that comes in contact with the tank, bend and glue drilled and pinned with some brass. 

Greg

Brewmaster

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
That is kind of what I was planning.

Traincat,

Do you think I could cut off one side of your straight staircases and gently bend them around the tank?

BTW, I didn't know about your stuff until you posted in this thread...expect some business from me.  Your stuff looks great!