Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/13/11  (Read 3930 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +687
Weekend Update 11/13/11
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »

UP 7869 4-8-2 progress

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +729
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 11/13/11
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:28:55 AM »
For me, the past week saw continued progress on two of the outfit cars I am currently building.

Car #1 - replacement ends and door filler pieces installed, ladders prepped for installation:

Car #2 - modified ends added temporarily, door filler pieces installed, mounts for grab irons and ladders prepared:

I am currently building new sides for car #3 and car #4 is awaiting parts from Intermountain.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:30:17 AM »
My latest project has been, well, working on a place for my projects:

My workbench/assembly table is a piece of Ikea countertop, with a sheet of MDF tossed on top for a sacrificial surface. Until now, it was just supported on a couple of folding sawhorses. Having it mobile should make working on all sides of a project much easier.

True to my model railroading heritage, the legs are 1x4 L-girders. :)
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +442
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
@Ritchie - I can't even begin to describe my awe.  Your steam fleet will be something when its done.  Perhaps you could give us a roster shot before the year is out of what you currently have.

@Tim - nice work.  Those doors in the ends are a really neat detail.  Can't wait to see how the turns out.

@Zox - amazing what one can cobble together from bits and pieces.  Nice kit bash!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3301
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:44:58 AM »
My recovery has been stymied some by severe back spasms...  sent me back to the ER Thursday night as a matter of fact.

Some time ago Bryan Bussey was kind enough to send me a pair of Bev-Bel X72 boxcars.  I tried stripping one, but was unsuccessful.  The lettering was so thick that I began to soften the plastic before the letters began to give way.

Assessing the other car, I realized that the lettering was maybe 80% correct or so.  The road number itself does not appear to be part of the X72 series, but noting the previous failure to remove the lettering, I kept the stock road number.

Simple little upgrades included replacing the stock Rapido couplers and trucks with Atlas 70t Accumate trucks/couplers and painting the brakewheel to match the body color.  I added X72 class decals, ACI labels, wheel inspection dots, door marks, and end markings to match the (incorrect) road number.  A shot of Dullcote and some acrylic washes yields a passable X72:

I very much appreciate the gift Bryan gave me, and it is now earning revenue on Conrail's Juniata Division.
Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
Neat bench Zox. My current woodworking bench has L's for the legs also.

Nothing to photo this week. Just some cork down for the LPG dealer and the scrap yard. Hopefully I'll have some shots for next week.

Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
Zeeing things? Like little stores perhaps.Therecare now 3 of them.

Ledt to right ,Lynds'a Lair,Hood's Automotive (NAPA autoparts), and Fowler's Furniture store.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +538
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »
Finally a little progress to report.  I haven't had much spare time this fall, but I have been able to make some progress on converting the garage to layout space, and that work is nearing completion.  This includes removing the old paneling and drywall; running new power service out there with 3 power circuits and 1 heating circuit; new lighting (10 daylight fluorescent fixturess); new wall & ceiling insulation; and new drywall.  Here's a progress shot:

All that remains is one more coat of drywall mud on the seams, then painting.  Compare to the same environ six months ago:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=23865.msg232364#msg232364

Even with temps around 40 F this afternoon it's toasty warm in there, and it won't be getting a whole lot colder here this winter.  Note also the stock of benchwork lumber waiting in the wings.  :)

-gfh

P.S. While I wasn't able to attend the BCR proto modelers meet this weekend, I did attend an ops session last night at an enormous local N scale pike based on Vancouver Island's Esquimalt & Nanaimo.  Lots of N scale around here!

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +575
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 06:39:21 PM »
Hello there,

It took LOTS of work, but except for the nose grabs and the brake wheel, this is finally done, with a sister not far behind......

And I couldn't resist a shot with the geep I finished last week.....

Have a good weekend....

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Hello there,

It took LOTS of work, but except for the nose grabs and the brake wheel, this is finally done, with a sister not far behind......

And I couldn't resist a shot with the geep I finished last week.....

Have a good weekend....

Awesome, Now that U30C are out again I should get some shells and work on some.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
Nice work on the Maine units; very attractive.

Two words sum up my modeling week.....applying rivets......hours of rivets......sigh..... :facepalm:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »
 :? I do not think you want to see the finger I cut while trying to repair a Kato Unitrack double crossover after I accidentally cut one of the power leads.  It all started so simply; the double crossover was not operating properly, so I replaced it with a new one.
Then I discovered the problem was very simple; the trip pin of an MTL coupler was logged in the turnout.
I handled that part fine. However, I cut the power lead while installing it in a new location. :oops:

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »
So this is my project for the weekend, I call it "Project: Hot Mess" because thats how it turned out!  :scared:

Basicly, I wanted to see if I could make a curved turn out out of Unitrak, well I did it, it works, it's ugly, and it don't like anything steam related, Only 4 axel diesels will go though it without derailing. and Freight. I suspect that the inside radi is too tight. I wasn't expecting it to work, it was mostly an experiment, but now that it did work, I might revise the plan a little and make one out of 2 of the same radi corners. Ultimatly, I would like to have 2 of them to make a passing siding....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:18:54 PM »
Finally, I'm back to painting and doing things associated with modeling.  The guys I was painting for before I left for Saudi last year hit me up as soon as I announced I was operational again.  Here's some of the stuff in progress, all of them foobies as requested by each.  They like what they like...   ;)

INRR - AC4400CW, 2 SD45's, plus a bunch of boxcars.

NS - Boxcars

CN - 3ea FA-1's (used paint from True Line Trains)

@Dave: Sorry to hear about your back issues.  Hope you get better soon.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:00:59 PM by flight2000 »
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +687
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »
So this is my project for the weekend, I call it "Project: Hot Mess" because thats how it turned out!  :scared:

Basicly, I wanted to see if I could make a curved turn out out of Unitrak, well I did it, it works, it's ugly, and it don't like anything steam related, Only 4 axel diesels will go though it without derailing. and Freight. I suspect that the inside radi is too tight. I wasn't expecting it to work, it was mostly an experiment, but now that it did work, I might revise the plan a little and make one out of 2 of the same radi corners. Ultimatly, I would like to have 2 of them to make a passing siding....

That turned out really well , congratulations .