Author Topic: Weekend Update 11/6/11  (Read 10607 times)

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
Re: Weekend Update 11/6/11
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
I've done 4 years and 2 deployments with the Army doing combat weather support.  I always enjoy working with them.  To date I've served with:  JRTC (EMCC), 2 ACR, 1 AD, 17 AVN BDE, and EUSA.  If I get selected for Senior Service School my druthers would be for Army War College versus Air War College.

Do you get to wear combat patches like the Army does, because you were with those guys? I know some fire dawgs that are AF, but deployed attached to an Army Firefighter unit, that get to wear combat patches becuse of the attachment.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 03:00:14 PM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8635
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
I used to be allowed to in BDUs, but since the new ABU came along, I can't.  No unit patches authorized at all.  Stupid rule.  I have a letter saying I served in combat with 1 AD and 2 ACR and can wear either patch on the right shoulder, but the new Air Force uniform doesn't allow that.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
No modeling for me...  yet.

I would love to take this recovery time to hit a whole bunch of projects, but I want to wait until I'm feeling more steady.

Amazing how "puffy" I look in this picture; I'd been filled with several bags of saline and antibiotics.

Speedy recovery Dave!  I hope to see you modeling again very soon!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
Dave, -10 Internets for calling an Airman a Soldier...   :D

D'oh!  :facepalm:

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
This just in from the military medical news....

AIR FORCE LIGHT COL MAKES DOUBLE RECOVERY - SPINAL ISSUES AND FOOTBALL INTELEGENCE BOTH IMPROVE DRAMATICALLY WITH SIMPLE PROCEDURE...........

I know the pain coming my way will be ugly but it just had to happen............... :D

thinkin of you Dave !!!!!!!
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +639
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
Hello everyone, I usually just watch from the sidelines, but this week I have something to share...

This is Maine Central GP-7 #590, a former L&N unit. Thiw was my test bed for BLMA grabirons, wipers, and cut levers, and I really enjoyed building this unit. And I chopped the nose(frame) in an 1874 built roundhouse! Does this make it more prototypical?
Anyway, here it is.....

Taking these pics helped me spot a few things to touch up.....
Have a great weekend........

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think I just popped my staples!  Thanks, Pud!!!! :D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 04:25:37 PM »
Dave, you have my very best wishes for a letter-perfect recovery.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3572
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »
Modelling took a back seat to student marks this week, but I did manage some further progress on the PGE-BCR outfit cars:

Car #1 - lower and upper door tracks removed, door openings widened from 6'-0" to 8'-0", filler plates for door openings cut from sheet styrene including a backing sheet, inside plug and outer side sheets:

Next up for this car is drilling holes for the hand holds and ladders, and I will then be able to proceed with final assembly. 

Car #2 - lower and upper door tracks removed, door openings widened from 6'-0" to 6'-6", filler plates for door openings cut from sheet styrene including a backing sheet, side entry doors for left side and side plug for right side, and outer side sheets:

This car requires some additional smaller openings cut into the sides, after which final assembly can commence.

I hope to make some progress on cars # and #4 tonight and tomorrow.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1133
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »
In a continuing effort to avoid decaling my CGW trailer, I've been working on 5-6 different project, some old, some new.

I recently rescued a lonely C&O 70' WOT baggage from MBK and a few hours after it's arrival, it looked like this:

The end result will hopefully be a 60' CGW baggage.  The small door will be 1' too wide, and I'm not exactly sure if that effects the overall length.  The roof isn't a match for the CGW turtleback, but if I can get this one cut to fit properly, I'm going to go with it for now.  It looks like there will need to be three cuts on the underframe that I haven't figured out yet.

Jason

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:07 PM »
I used to be allowed to in BDUs, but since the new ABU came along, I can't.  No unit patches authorized at all.  Stupid rule.  I have a letter saying I served in combat with 1 AD and 2 ACR and can wear either patch on the right shoulder, but the new Air Force uniform doesn't allow that.

That sounds like it's right up there with little E-1s in the army getting yelled at for wearing an ACU rank blank over the Fuzzy spot where rank is suppose to be. Hopefully someone wakes up and fixes both, You EARNED that right, you should be allowed to wear it. What about in Dress uniform? I don't know the AF uniforms at all beyond rank.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »
Hi Dave,

Get well real quick. I just know what it is like in those places. More bells and whistles than a atomic fallout shelter.

If I did not know better the puffy state is the Pennsy Disciples payback for running funny blue stuff.

Regards

Al Cutmore
Australia
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
That sounds like it's right up there with little E-1s in the army getting yelled at for wearing an ACU rank blank over the Fuzzy spot where rank is suppose to be. Hopefully someone wakes up and fixes both, You EARNED that right, you should be allowed to wear it. What about in Dress uniform? I don't know the AF uniforms at all beyond rank.

No, no organizational patches in blues.

This is what the service dress uniform looks like these days:

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5505
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
Just save those unit patches to go with your PRR keystones and blinking crossbucks on your special train show vest.

I see that while they don't let you where your war record on your sleeve, they're letting you get away with some nice arm candy...  Good thing Patricia takes a shine to old broken down war horses!

Lee
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 07:40:54 PM by wm3798 »
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +506
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
This just in from the military medical news....

AIR FORCE LIGHT COL MAKES DOUBLE RECOVERY - SPINAL ISSUES AND FOOTBALL INTELEGENCE BOTH IMPROVE DRAMATICALLY WITH SIMPLE PROCEDURE...........

I know the pain coming my way will be ugly but it just had to happen............... :D

thinkin of you Dave !!!!!!!
Now THAT is a great room!  8)
I'll hopefully have some pics, I've been making steady scenery progress, but we lost the USB cable for one camera, another refuses to upload, and the computer won't read the SD card from the third
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech