Author Topic: Rapido's CN Pointe St Charles caboose  (Read 2414 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
    • www.bbussey.net
Rapido's CN Pointe St Charles caboose
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:41:33 AM »
For those who want to see more Canadian prototypes replicated in N ... you do know that Rapido is making the CN Pointe St Charles caboose, correct?  You have to pre-order with Prairie Shadows, $50 per.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/pscvan_n.html
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Rapido's CN Pointe St Charles caboose
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:32:46 AM »
Been all over this for months now; Jeff's close to opening up the gates on this one and it's all but fact that an Angus shops CP Rail van will follow. Nice to see Rapido working with others to bring these products to market.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +37
    • Conrail's Portland Line
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
Can not wait...one of my favorite cabooses. There used to be 2 in Tilton, NH at caboose village.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »
I don't understand the economics of this approach (for what that's worth). We have heard many time how expensive it is to bring a new model to market. How does going through a relatively unknown group such as Prairie Shadows improve the business model?

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +57
    • My train pics
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
I've all 12 on order already. Will have the CP Angus on order 1/4 second after announcement (and the TH&B). When someone announces a model I need (and backed by a company such as Rapido doing the mfg), I support them wholeheartedly.
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »
I don't understand the economics of this approach (for what that's worth). We have heard many time how expensive it is to bring a new model to market. How does going through a relatively unknown group such as Prairie Shadows improve the business model?

Best wishes, Dave

I think because they are supplying the capital and Rapido the work. Meaning PS is assuming the risk and Rapido acts as a contractor. Just speculating here because I have no inside knowledge.
My train pics:
More here:

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
That is the model that is at work here. Rapido is selling some limited time it has between projects and is also "testing the n scale market" at the same time. Jason's an HO modeler and and HO producer at heart. He's not against n scale but he isn't as familiar with it's workings. The Panarama Line of passenger cars isn't the same as freight or vans. He's coupled with PS to find out what works and what doesn't.

I can't wait for this model and am losing sleep over the Angus van after...... :D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »

Best wishes, Dave

Dave you bring up an excellent point.

My own cents and I don't have any inside knowledge to support my weak opinion :) is that it cost much less to bring a new product to market in 2011 than it was in 2001 and far less than it would have cost in 1991. 

I think between huge advances in computer power, software ability and the mindset of "OK, I want to make fewer, but I know they'll cost more" mindset by the manufacturers, the idea of huge investments needed to bring out a new products has gone away.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +987
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »

I think because they are supplying the capital and Rapido the work. Meaning PS is assuming the risk and Rapido acts as a contractor. Just speculating here because I have no inside knowledge.

Exactly right, or at least supplying a chunk of the capital.  The same scenario happened with the CMW transit bus.  Walthers financed it, otherwise that model wouldn't have happened.  Most likely RT will retain ownership of the tooling, with PS getting an exclusive for a period of time to recoup the investment.  Walthers exclusivity on the bus recently ended, which is why CMW has announced new schemes.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »
Thanks for the clarification on this issue. I hope that this is a success for all parties involved. The Alaska RR is still using some of these vans.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll290/djs_ank_ak/ARR/DSC03040sm.jpg

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
That is the model that is at work here. Rapido is selling some limited time it has between projects and is also "testing the n scale market" at the same time. Jason's an HO modeler and and HO producer at heart. He's not against n scale but he isn't as familiar with it's workings. The Panarama Line of passenger cars isn't the same as freight or vans. He's coupled with PS to find out what works and what doesn't.

I can't wait for this model and am losing sleep over the Angus van after...... :D

Maybe I'll head up to Vaughan when my PSC fleet arrives... show them the 12 I bought. Then beg for another run with maybe 6 in the "International Service" scheme. Keep testing the N scale market wiuth CDN prototypes, please.

Pud, imagine the LRC or FPA4 in N!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:35:36 PM by lock4244 »
My train pics:
More here:

Wardie

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
The FPA4's ran over the GT to Portland ME, I would be in for some of those.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »
When I found out about these vans, I was in for several right away.  Can't wait. 

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
I'm sitting in Jeff's (PS) basement right now looking at the preproduction sample  :D. Dave this is Jeff's project, he is supplying the capital to have this project done. Rapido has the artwork etc.. This is going to be one nice caboose.

JSL

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »
JSL, that is a cruel tease. :)