Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/30/11  (Read 4003 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +687
Weekend Update 10/30/11
« on: October 29, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »

Progress on UP 7869 4-8-2

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:08:02 AM by up1950s »

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
Re: Weekend Update 10/30/11
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
Another steam-y shot of Alameda:

And an ariel view from an Air Station plane doing a low fly-by:

Thanks for looking.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +729
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »
For me this was a second week of steady progress on several outfit car conversions.  With the roof alterations behind me, this past week was devoted to modifying the ends.

Car #1 had the original NSC-3 ends removed and replaced with sheet steel.  At the 'B' end the top three ribs were retained (presumably to retain the original brake wheel mount) so the replacement 'B' end is shorter in height.  I cut the new ends from .030" sheet styrene and assembled the end personnel doors from strip styrene.  The ends of the Micro-Trains car were removed with a razor saw and the corner posts were removed with side cutters.  I then dressed the edges with a file.  Here is car #1 with the ends and corner posts removed, and the replacement ends ready for installation:

Car #2 has Improved Dreadnought ends which on the Intermountain model are separate parts.  I added the end personnel doors and modified the ladder hole arrangement for a cut down ladder at the 'A" end.  Here is car #2 with the ends ready for installation:

Car #3 has early Dreadnought ends but the modifications are identical to car #2:

I did not make any further progress on car #4 this week other than a test fitting of the Intermountain underframe:

With the roof and end modifications now complete, I will begin work on the side modifications for cars #1-3 and the suspended centre sills for car #4.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +236
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
It's been one of those weeks. No doubt most of you are aware that the PVR suffered a chemical spill...Environment Canada has laid charges against the backshop foreman (me) and has fine us a significant amount of time and energy in clean up and restitution..... :facepalm:

One of the projects destroyed (ok; well; "runined") was this outstanding Bill Denton CB&Q Havelock baggage express car. I had it painted and was just about ready for grabs when..."splash"....

Bill; just to let you know; the shells can be stripped.............. I know of what I speak............

Back to the garage and airbrush; the car was stripped, repainted and "battle was re-joined". Bill's shell is a thing of beauty; both in it's quality and detail, as importantly, it's ease to work with. The kit is near flawless; fits well and his instruction as so clear even a Canuck covered in paint and 99% iso can follow them....

I added the grabs, ladders, diaphrams and tried to copy a photo of CB&Q 1046 for weathering.... tried..... it looks better in person, sorry for the crummy photo's but I'll explain that in a second....side one...

side two.........

The "rusted doors look rusted, well, more rusty, in person..........

Thanks Mr. D for a great shell of a truly recognizble head end car !

The rushed photo was due to my son's birthday present.... he wanted gerbils........he got gerbils..........three gerbils and the cage etc....all boys..right...all boys..............

I'm not so pleased to announce that this morning, at 6:30 am, as I was readying young gerbil owner for hockey (yep; hockey before light; it's a Canadian thing eh !) we discovered that one of the three boys wasn't....... and his, no strike that, her four gerbil pups were living proof...... :RUEffinKiddingMe:

(BTW, explain this one to an 8 year old........um...ah...... what's that son, why are they mounting Max's backside....um......)

Spills, early hockey and gerbil pups.............man, it's good to be alive............ :facepalm:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +478
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »
I finished my NSVA truck build:

You've crossed the walls, excelled
Further along through their hell
All for my heart, I watch you kill
You always have, you always will
Now spread your wings and sail out to me

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +687
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »
Outstanding Dan , are you goung to Grimy Black the tires ?

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 06:55:03 PM »
Very, very nice truck build !
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
Was at the Timonium show today with a load of asshats.  Only car I got was another resin PRR X32.  I got home and the Bachman RS3 was in the mailbox.  First impressions -  not great.  Noisy and as someone pointed out, the front and rear nose just doesn't look right.  It ran O.K. on a short piece of track but my track is in need of a good cleaning as I kept losing power to the loco.  The painting and letter was crisp and no blemishes I could find.  Handrails were surprisingly decent also.  Compared to their GE 44T, they could have done a better job especially on overall prototype looks and running quality.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +729
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
Daniel:

Beautiful job on the truck and also very well photographed.  My compliments.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
My Bachmann RS3's came in today also...

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »
I may need to pick  up a PRR one. Those dont look half bad.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Respect: +534
    • THE IMPOSSIBLE RAILROAD
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Trying to replicate the are between structures in El Centro, CA
along the SP mainline from Niland to Calexico. Asphalt that
is broken up with dirt, sand and gravel.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:21:13 PM by chuck geiger »
Chuck Geiger
Page, AZ
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Dave V

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • The Route of the Galloping Goose
  • Respect: +3301
    • Dave Vollmer's N Scale Pennsy
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
No modeling for me.  Preparing for L5-S1 spinal fusion surgery on Monday.  Hopefully that will put a permanent end to 8+ years of low back and leg pain.  It's gotten to where it keeps me from doing PT with the squadron and I've even had leg weakness causing me to fall.

In the meantime, I scored these 40' Conrail Trailvans on eBay:

Silver San Juan Scenic Line

Member SlimRail Modular Colorado Narrow Gauge
http://www.slimrail.net/

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
Dave: Hope the surgery's a slam dunk and you're putting the young subaltern's to shame on the PT square really soon ! We'll be thinkin of you up here in the Great White North, L.Col......good luck !

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »
Dave, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.  Like the rest of the members I do hope all goes well.  Am probably looking at the same for myself sometime in the near future.