Author Topic: 1'2 Challenge?  (Read 20115 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
0
I'd be in for a 144sq challenge. I have an idea for a 24x6.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
0
Mike, why not, and this has to be a new construction? with photos from start to finish to boot?

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 11:07:12 AM »
0
Ok, so it looks like we have a few takers for a 144sq in challenge. What do you guys think our theme should be? What about a timeline?
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

Bremner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 450
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 11:20:18 AM »
0
1980's grain :D

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 11:56:56 AM »
0
Ok, so it looks like we have a few takers for a 144sq in challenge. What do you guys think our theme should be? What about a timeline?

Theme is already 144sq inch challenge, yes?
It'd be nice to leave the time, place / setting up to the modeler (IMHO).
As for timeline, December 21st (winter solstice) or 23rd would be good: then we can check out people's stuff with eggnog over some vacation days.
[And that way you can't use the "Gross Challenge" to get out of family holiday gatherings ;) ]

Or, if that's too soon, then how about right before presidents' day weekend in Feb.?
M.C. Fujiwara

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
0
I'm in. 
Suggestions:
President's Day deadline is suitable.
Progress shots should be maintained, but not posted until the entry is complete.  No spilling candy in the lobby.
Track doesn't have to be operable (like Chris' Nn3) but track should be part of the scene
Do we allow Z scale entries, or is this an N exercise only?  What about larger scales?
Otherwise, all bets are off.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

delamaize

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2655
  • Gender: Male
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +1026
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »
0
I'll give it a shot. I got a few ideas....
Mike
Skookumchuck Belt Line Founder

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

nscalemike

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 400
  • Respect: +13
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »
0
I think we need a modeling theme within the 144sq in!  80's grain could work for me, and open to other ideas as well.  Actually I really don't care, just might need to do some research!

If our deadline is Dec 23, we need to get cracking, my wife will be mighty upset if I cant buy Christmas gifts because I am still working on a mini model!

Mike

dnhouston

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 669
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +831
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:51 PM »
0
I'm in.
The Feb deadline works well, especially with all the family gatherings taking away time in Nov and Dec.
I think we should pick a scale, I vote for N.  What can be done in 1 sq ft in Z is much different than in O.
I think this theme should be wide open.  Let the creativity flow.

jnevis

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 760
  • Gender: Male
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »
0
I think the Feb deadline is better.

If there is a specific theme choosen I think it should be something outside the collective "normal." ie: civil war vice modern, high desert instead of Northeast Corridor.  You may get someone's modelling era/location but the majority will have to work at it a little.  Could even go so far as scale.  Go outside everybody's comfort zone a little.  Total opposite for me for example would be East Coast 1950's in HO.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

rswinnerton

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1313
  • Gender: Male
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
0
The Presidents day deadline is a good one. Let's go with that.

What about just modelling something you never have before and using 1 technique you never have before?

Also, as Lee said, take pics, but no spilling the beans.
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

wcfn100

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 8947
  • Respect: +1383
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »
0
February is real good since it should be just in time for the next challenge.  :)




Jason

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
0
February is real good since it should be just in time for the next challenge.  :)




Jason


Soooo cant wait for that building.  But alas, I wont be needing one for this project I believe.


*EDIT - Check that, I just built my "benchwork" and I am sooo gonna need some brick for this diorama.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:26:36 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

daniel_leavitt2000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6444
  • Respect: +1427
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
0
Feb is good for me. So what about toppics? I nominate Ed's Baconrail.
American eyes, American eyes
View the world from American eyes
Bury the past, rob us blind
And leave nothing behind

M.C. Fujiwara

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1344
  • Respect: +84
    • Silicon Valley Free-moN
Re: 1'2 Challenge?
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
0
Feb is good for me. So what about toppics? I nominate Ed's Baconrail.

A meaty topic.
I'm sure some will go hog wild.

For those of us out west, could we do Union Bacon, Santa Bacon, Western Bacon or Great Bacon?
M.C. Fujiwara