Author Topic: N-SCALE Railroading Nov. - Dec. 2011 issue ??  (Read 5757 times)

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: N-SCALE Railroading Nov. - Dec. 2011 issue ??
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2011, 01:26:16 PM »
I'm the wrong person to comment on that.... see my previous comments about the magazine in question and the way they treat submissions.... I have no sympathy for N Scale Magazine whatsoever.....

Did you even bother to check to see if the magazine even got your submission. Packages do get lost!!!!

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
Did you even bother to check to see if the magazine even got your submission. Packages do get lost!!!!

Sent registered......so I am sure of what I speak, thank you. I wouldn't throw around such a comment without knowing they receievd it.... and for the record, "Mr. Answering Machine" answers, but doesn't call back..... :D

Hey, they have the right to think my stuff was gerbil cage fodder; perhaps it was... but no response is kinda bush...IMHO.

Oh well; it's in the past, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »
Pud,

We're talking NSM, right?  Have you tried since Pam took the lead?  I find that communicating with her before a submission is very helpful so she knows what's coming and can plan ahead.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
Pud,

We're talking NSM, right?  Have you tried since Pam took the lead?  I find that communicating with her before a submission is very helpful so she knows what's coming and can plan ahead.

My "no response" issue was in 2007 with N Scale Magazine. I haven't sent anything to Pam; I did send stuff to Hundman years ago with no takers but that was probably good since I wasn't very good...hehehehe.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I really don't feel any great drive to submit to magazines; if I want to show people my work it's enough to post on boards, get a$$hat feedback and the commentarty of the few n scalers I associate with.

I may someday submit something but, as I said, I'm really in no hurry.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
...shove the rest off. (PAS, GMRC, WACR, CP, CN)....
Might as well shove those PAS(PAR) cars off the end of track... they would be just as good there.

Dont get me going on the feed mill we have as a customer.
I know exactly what you are talking about. When we had BlueSeal feeds in Concord as a customer they were a great customer but a PITA to switch out...sometimes several times a day, and some times they would derail a car with their "switcher"...ie bucketloader.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 07:01:09 PM »
Ian,

I would love to shove the PAS cars over the derail and out on their main line. What gets me with PAS is that  they dont pick then deliver on top of what I set out the day before. So when I go in there, I have to handle the cars I delivered the day before a second time to get the pickup. Well I just wont pick up anymore LOL. Oh yes the buckerloaded with a knuckle in it. I cant tell you how many cut levers and stirrups they destroyed. I guess its pay back for when we shoved a plate F through the unloading shed and took down a bunch of stuff.. that's another story

Brian
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 09:38:32 PM »
I would love to shove the PAS cars over the derail and out on their main line

Heard similar stories from other shortlines up that way that connect with them. Their pricing guy though is top notch and cooperative.

Other shortlines weren't complimentary of the thoroughbred either and will believe the Patriot setup when they see it.

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 10:29:36 PM »
If and when the NS buys out completely the PAS, railroading in New England will change

Brian
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
I have only this advise on publishing, offered humbly: don't be afraid to talk with the editors. They are people just like the rest of us (except, in the immortal words of George Frazier, "their lips move when they read," a comment that got him suspended as the Boston Globe's resident curmudgeon columnist in the late 60s, just when I was starting out). They want to help you get published because it makes their jobs easier.

I've been writing for publication since 1968. Of hundreds of editors there have been perhaps only two or three where a brief talk didn't result in a published article or a clear understanding of why something wasn't accepted. The two or three were just jerks that didn't last long.

And I've been a stand-in editor for a few issues for a few magazines when the real editor was ill, or abruptly quit or was fired. When you've got 30 pages of material for a 40-page editorial calendar 24 hours before deadline, you quickly learn about creative page layout, or how to write a 10-page article on "The Advantages of Programmable Microcode in 32-Bit Register Architecture" or some such--the equivalent of a long article on making N-scale trees or preparing a basement. :D

Hey, didn't I publish an article on using "Weeds for Trees" not that long ago? :facepalm:

HuskerN

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
Speaking of the Nov/Dec 2011 issue, did anyone notice that great article starting on page 24?.....   :P

HuskerN
nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
Speaking of the Nov/Dec 2011 issue, did anyone notice that great article starting on page 24?.....   :P

HuskerN
nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com

Welcome aboard John!