Author Topic: Window and door suppliers?  (Read 857 times)

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
Window and door suppliers?
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:52:49 AM »
I'm about to be jumping back in the game and working on a layout idea I've been researching for several years now. But most of the structures on the layout are going to involve some scratchbuilding. So do any of youse have some good leads on window and door manufacturers that I may have missed (particularly ones with an industrial theme)? Here's my list so far:

Micron Art
Scalescenes
Grandt Line
Tichy
Ngineering
Railwaymodels.com

Smokey Mountain Miniatures has an un-developed portion of their site devoted to doors and windows.

I could swear there was discussion here about a company doing some nice photo-etched industrial windows a few years back, but I can't for the life of me remember who they were...I'm pretty sure I commented on the thread but I went back through about 3 years worth of my posts and couldn't locate it. Any leads would be most appreciated.
Sean

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +35
Re: Window and door suppliers?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »
Sean

It is not exactly what your asking for but have looked at Lance Mindenheim's Shelf Layout website? In the the tips section look at the photo wallpaper page.  Is great for building structures as well as obtaining architectural details such as doors and windows, roof a/c etc..  The link: http://www.lancemindheim.com/photo_wallpaper.htm

Hope you find it useful

Greg

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +19
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
If there's something specific, I'm fiddling around with Shapeways. Maybe we could make it.
Russ
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:56 PM »
If there's something specific, I'm fiddling around with Shapeways. Maybe we could make it.
Russ

Or maybe use a Silhouette cutter on styrene and/or acetate.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
Sean

It is not exactly what your asking for but have looked at Lance Mindenheim's Shelf Layout website? In the the tips section look at the photo wallpaper page.  Is great for building structures as well as obtaining architectural details such as doors and windows, roof a/c etc..  The link: http://www.lancemindheim.com/photo_wallpaper.htm

Hope you find it useful

Greg

Greg, The photo idea is a good one, however, most of the buildings I need to build were turned into piles of rubble at least a decade ago and decent photos of them at all are hard to come by, let alone nearly-perfect side-on shots.

Russ, I have to wonder what it would take to engineer a whole series of structures from Shapeways...
Sean

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +19
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
Sean- I don't know, but it seems like once you get the hang of it, you can go pretty fast. I can't wait to fool with it more this weekend. If you're bored Saturday, c'mon over. I'm free until I have to head out to a halloween party. (don't ask)
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com