Author Topic: Need help with a corner space  (Read 2483 times)

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
Need help with a corner space
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
Howdy all,

I walked into the garage/ train room, and I was thinking what kind of industry could I put here...

As you can see that is plenty of room for a N scale industry!! The space marked out is not just for a structure but for trackage also.

The building would mostly be made out of foam core,, then I could glue styrene and other stuff to that. I am at a loss as to what to build there. I would love a mega industry!!! to the left of the space is my main industrial area which is 8' x 20".. and to the right/ bottom is going to be my main yard. So I can use the industry as a veiw block also.

I had thought about having service come from both ends. Maybe two railroads service one industry? Or maybe the industry could require a dedicated crew/loco. It could be any kind of industry,, as I have all types of rolling stock.

So let's hear em!!!! any ideas would be welcome,, no idea too crazy.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Need help with a corner space
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
A paper mill immediately springs to mind, but it's almost becoming cliche.

Maybe some sort of agricultural industry, like a large grain elevator?

You're into the 80s, right? That kinda rules out ethanol.

Jmwilson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
Maybe a flood loader or some kind of gravel pit with a loading facility, large stone quarry

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
Not knowing what geograhic area you are or if topography is "flat" or more vertical, suggest segregating the area from the main line by a "river" and on make it a barge dock/river harbor accessible by bridges on both ends. Tank farms, grain elevator, ore piles, scrap, lumber, coal all being commodities handled there and the assorted car types to service such products. Manifolds for connecting hoses off barges to handle liquids, a few cranes for the dry bulk and you are in business.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »
Photobucket is blocked at work, so I'm taking a shot in the dark.....but corners lend themselves to junctions quite well too.
~ Matt

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:41:45 PM »
Great ideas guys!!!! The more I think about it, I would like to have something that takes different types of equipment.

Manufacturing,, could have all sorts. Box,coil,gon,flat,tank,covered hopper,open hoppers.  As I sit here, I thinking about the junction idea',, hmmmmm. I could put the industry on a curve,,, like the grain terminal,3-4 tracks that could hold a butt load of covered hoppers

A huge warehouse for anything and eveything,,,

A printing company like Mead, 3M,,,,

One idea received from another forum, was a rail car maintenance/ repair facility .

Too many to choose from.

Thanks for the ideas,, keep them coming.

Yes Ed I am the 80's. As for the topographic profile,, flat,,rolling hills. I am trying to stay with central Wisconsin as a general theme.

Adios wyatt

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
Paper of some type seems appropriate then. That gets you boxcars, various tank cars, covered hoppers, wood chips, pulpwood, or any subset of those.

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »

This is a section of my layout that is 32 " x 20" in which I placed all the buildings of the Walther's tanning industry plus a couple of related buildings.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
I would suggest either a glass plant or tile plant.

Both industries would use covered hoppers and boxcars.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
A paper mill immediately springs to mind, but it's almost becoming cliche.

Yes, that was what I thought of immediately. I had designed something in N based off of this layout's Paper Mill in the corner.

http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/2010/09/peace-river-paper-mill.html

If you're interested, I'll send you the link I had to my thought on a design in a similar space to yours,

Phil
- Phil

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 02:52:24 PM »
Central Wisconsin = Cheese and beer.  Ok, that's really north and north central Wisconsin, but you probably get my point.  And given that the paper mill was the largest employer in Green Bay at one point, the cliche'd paper mill has history . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +579
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
Philip beat me to the table on the beer suggestion.  There has been a lot written lately about the Milwaukee Road's beer line in Milwaukee both in MR and an entire MRHA publication.  Plus we also have several forum members modeling the beer line.  Those articles could be the source of some structure ideas since
I doubt you would want to model the entire line.  Also, breweries weren't confined to Milwaukee.  Hamm's was from the "Land of Sky Blue Waters," and there was one other that advertised heavily about the clear Wisconsin streams but I consumed so much of it in college that I can't remember the name.

Loads in would include covered hoppers of grain, open coal hoppers for the power plant, boxcars of paper/corrugated  products for the six packs and cases,  boxcars of bottles and cans--not sure what form the yeast comes in.  Loads out would be insulated boxcars (Dave Schneider is the resident expert on those) and perhaps covered hoppers of the spent grain which IIRC is reprocessed into animal feed for happy cows (I may be full of BS on that one but I seem to remember hearing about it).

The breweries I have visited have tours that end in the tasting room so you could have a group of tipsy asshats coming out of a side door with Officer Ian as the designated driver!
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
Oh, cranberry bogs!   :P
~ Matt

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1524
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 03:46:17 PM »
@ Roger H:
[url]http://leinie.com/av.html/url]

Is this the one?

Leinie's is often to be found in my house, owing to my Green Bay resident in-laws.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 04:06:12 PM »

Another view more wide angle of my tannery corner.

I have since addes signs, etc.