Author Topic: SCALECOAT II Caboose Red?  (Read 2097 times)

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
SCALECOAT II Caboose Red?
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »
I purchased two B&O wagontop JNJ kits and have become to assemble them.  I ordered the SCALECOAT II Caboose Red aerosol paint from the LHS; today was the first opportunity I had to paint the caboose shells.   :x  Sorry folks, but the paint was not red.  Maroon pehaps[/b], but not red.
What a disappointment!  Now back to the drawing board to find an aerosol hobby paint that is appropriate for B&O cabooses.
Any one else find SCALECOAT II paints to differ from what they expected?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:39:33 PM by rogergperkins »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
Re: SCALECOAT II Caboose Red?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »
I purchased two B&O wagontop JNJ kits and have become to assemble them.  I ordered the SCALECOAT II Caboose Red aerosol paint from the LHS; today was the first opportunity I had to paint the caboose shells.   :x  Sorry folks, but the paint was not red.  Maroon pehaps[/b], but not red.
What a disappointment!  Now back to the drawing board to find an aerosol hobby paint that is appropriate for B&O cabooses.
Any one else find SCALECOAT II paints to differ from what they expected?

Sounds like a mislabeled spray can.  Caboose Red in the bottles is certainly a bright red.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:00:12 PM by Sokramiketes »

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
Here's the Scalecoat paint chart:

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/p/160982/1777907.aspx

Caboose Red from Scalecoat has always been brown - at least the past 20 years.  Makes a lot of sense, right? Well no, but I hate to say it - but it hasn't changed.  Also pretty dumb they don't put a color chart on their site - even with monitors, lighting, phase of the moon, etc...  it would stop you from wasting $$$ on "caboose red" when it's not red.

I've never heard the other story about rebranding. In fact I know that the Penn Central Historical society (and others) has Scalecoat mix up special paints for them (Weaver Models).   

To their credit - if you paint outside on a warm, DRY day, the Scalecoat II rattle cans do as good a job as anything out there - an amazingly smooth, shiny finish.  But their color selection is really somewhat strange.

- Lou

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:40:11 PM by ljudice »

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
Wow! I guess it's not a surprise it's made by someone else....

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »
The paper label on the two cans of SCALECOAT II aerosol paint are not attached securely; I peeled off the label and discovered the both are labelled Diversity Brands - A division of Sherwin Williams.   This is not a surprise.  I am not being critical, just reporting what I learned.

That's pretty typical of all paint.  Someone does the work, and they just re-label it.
~ Matt