Author Topic: Woot! Another Kato Santa Pacific Release!  (Read 1455 times)

Big4Man

• Crew
  • "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time..."
  • Respect: +1
Woot! Another Kato Santa Pacific Release!
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »
Kato announces another War Bonnet F-3. I think this is the only number Kato hasn't released that's left on ATSF roster.......

<sigh>  :facepalm:

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +76
    • My train pics
Re: Woot! Another Kato Santa Pacific Release!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:50:15 PM »
Sex.... and Santa Fe, sells  ;)
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +272
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »
Yet, ironically, I do not personally know a Santa Fe modeler in any scale.... but the stuff flys off the shelves even up here eh Mike....? Weird.....
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Shipsure

• Crew
  • Respect: +679
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »
I'm always surprised as well at how much better SF does than any other road sans SP.  Kato has a lot invested in SF prototypes so it seems logical to keep pumping alternatives to the fan base.  It's been a surprise over the years to see sales figures of west vs east coast roads.  I think it's more the iconic nature of Santa Fe and the bright colors that keep them coming back for more.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +3162
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 01:13:14 PM »
When Atlas came out with their USRA boxcars I broke down and bought a SF and a UP. Those are the only 2 westies I own.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
Those warbonnet units has been a good seller ever since the early days of Lional.  Your non model railoroader who just wants something for under the tree or for the kids or grandkids , I think, buy most of them. 

You gotta admit that it is a hansome paint scheme.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +134
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 07:20:23 PM »
I am in for a couple of F units!!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

lock4244

• Crew
  • Ontario - tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
  • Respect: +76
    • My train pics
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
Yet, ironically, I do not personally know a Santa Fe modeler in any scale.... but the stuff flys off the shelves even up here eh Mike....? Weird.....

Yup. If I wasn't modeling Cdn stuff, I'd be modeling the EL (where SF power would turn up). After EL... probably SF.

I've a couple SF units (SD40's and U30C [U23C] from the original run), but it's 1988 in my world, so I can't help you if you dislike wet noodles and pac-man on everything  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:05:09 AM by lock4244 »
Welcome to Ontario... we've got a tax for that.
My train pics:
http://tinyurl.com/62uk24
More here:
http://www.railpictures.ca/author/lock4244

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +232
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
I don't think I've ever met a Santa Fe modeler in person, though there are some significant forum posters that do model ATSF.

I totally understand the appeal of Santa Fe though, even as a kid watching trains on the Pokey I saw plenty of 40' boxes with "Ship and travel Santa Fe" on the side (along with assorted other slogans). Santa Fe used to run color ads for the passenger service in mags like National Geographic.

The war bonnet scheme is immortal.

Aside from the pretty schemes I'm sure there are interesting operational aspects (freight!), as I imagine most railroads have to some degree.

Mark

Bremner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:23 AM »
I thought that you were going to say that there is a new model of a Kodachrome loco coming soon. As for the ATSF F's, I have yet to meet one person that does not like them classic warbonnet. I like it, and I am not into the Santa Fe. That being said, I would model it quicker than the Borg. 

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
I grew up with ATSF stuff put in my hands.  My Dad loved it as a kid, from his trips across country from Chicago to LA to visit his family.  So many stories of his rides on the Chief as a kid, in was ingrained into my brain. 

It was the first railroad I gravitated towards when I started in HO.  The first loco I picked up in N scale was ATSF.  It's like a comfort zone for me.  That being said, I now model C&EI/Soo Line/and California Northern....so go figure.