Author Topic: Loads.. or my gons and flat cars look completely empty!  (Read 3574 times)

unclepete2013

Loads.. or my gons and flat cars look completely empty!
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:36:35 PM »
So I wanted to complain/vent. (I used to be under unclepete - but lost my password.. yada yada yada)

Anyways, I wish they had more maintenance of way equipment.. all of it out there is crudely made and looks childish at best. I really want to build a MofW gang move train, just some 89' flats and take some rail and glue it to the top. It would be nice to see some Trucks pick up and medium duty. Also like to see some more ballast regulators (these are pretty generic) and tampers... again these can be made pretty generic. They all look pretty similar so it wouldn't make to much of a difference between road types.

Also like to vent the lack of Caterpillar/John Deere/Case machinery for all these nice flat cars.

And some good pipe for pipe loads... so far my pipe train isn't looking to hot.

Anyways, what say you?

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Loads.. or my gons and flat cars look completely empty!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »
It may not be perfect, it takes forever to get made (6-8 weeks) - and it's absurdly expensive (and I only get a few pennies per order) - but I have a variety of interesting MOW machines for sale on Shapeways:

http://www.roundmountainmodels.com

That's my site - if you click on "purchase models on shapeways" you'll get to my models.  Shapeways seems to have some bizzare Javascript problem going on because when you scroll to the bottom of my catalog page, it bounces back to the top.

I'm committed to continuing to improve my Shapeways models - it isn't easy with the turnaround time and frequent dumb-a$$ website issues, and I pay almost the full retail price for my tests. But I'm trying to get some cool MOW stuff out there!

- Lou
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:01:15 PM by ljudice »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »
One of the reasons for the lack of manufactured MOW equipment is that they're notoriously poor sellers. After all, modelers will more than likely only need one piece of each type of equipment, at most, assuming they're modeling a railroad that calls for them in the first place. Compare this to, say, freight cars, which nearly everyone needs in multiples. Even locos sell better, so the ROI on these models will be pretty dismal. We may have to rely more and more on entrepreneurs using RP services such as Shapeways to make these models available at all.

unclepete2013

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
It may not be perfect, it takes forever to get made (6-8 weeks) - and it's absurdly expensive (and I only get a few pennies per order) - but I have a variety of interesting MOW machines for sale on Shapeways:

http://www.roundmountainmodels.com

That's my site - if you click on "purchase models on shapeways" you'll get to my models.  Shapeways seems to have some bizzare Javascript problem going on because when you scroll to the bottom of my catalog page, it bounces back to the top.

I'm committed to continuing to improve my Shapeways models - it isn't easy with the turnaround time and frequent dumb-a$$ website issues, and I pay almost the full retail price for my tests. But I'm trying to get some cool MOW stuff out there!

- Lou

You read my mind! I will be sending you a few dollars when I get a chance.... any pictures of completed items?

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:56:42 PM »
Kel Cruise of Macalova Model Works used to make great pipe loads ... no idea if he is still in business.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:25:10 PM »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »

I made my own...  For my layout's size, a representative stack of ties, some cut rail, and some line poles, combined with a couple of ballast cars and a camp car or three is plenty.

And the Caterpillar is an Ertl.  Not sure if it's 1:160 or some other oblique scale, and it's a newer model than my era.  I just painted over the 1990/2000 graphics and weathered her up a little.  Works for me.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

unclepete2013

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51:23 PM »

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »
Well; I'm kinda with Lee.........

It is what it is............
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 10:31:47 AM »
I agree there's definitely a market for MOW stuff, but yes I also agree that it will be a low volume (read $$$) item.   Like cabooses, I would see this as a good candidate for brass, especially with the intricate details, but a kit with a resin or styrene body and etched details/brass wire would probably be greatness too!   (as an aside...Lou, great job with that MOW stuff!   I've seen that tamper even in more recent times on branchline work.)

In the past 20 years or so, it seems to me that the bulk of standard MOW work is done by two machines.  One is a tamper and the other I'm not real sure....guessing just a general maintainer of some type.   From what I've seen they are very similar across railroads, so I think those two, sold in a set, would be a purchase for many.   Since it would be a "one-and-done" for pretty much everyone, I would expect the price to be high, but I would totally be in line for that.   Generally, I don't think these travel on flat cars although I have seen them as loads on rare occasion.

BNSF has a MOW unit stationed in my very rural hometown and I always see the tandem stored in the small yard there.   I keep hoping to get a chance to take good pics and possibly some measurements but I'm usually pressed for time when I go visit my dad so, maybe sometime.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

unclepete2013

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
Se where I am at we have consistent gang moves and its just where ol uncle pete moves lots of traffic with MofW. Usually 10-15 89' flats loaded with equipment.... definitely cool looking to say the least.

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 12:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!  MOW stuff is not a big seller, but as anyone around a long time knows, I love the stuff and can't get enough of it. I'm all for anyone doing a better job than I've done, but until that happens I do intend to keep plugging away at it!!!  :)

I think the two machines you see around a lot are the tamper and the ballast regulator...  In fact ballast regulators are used for snow removal too!

However, railroads also have "gangs" - usually "surface and tie gangs"  and "steel or rail gangs" - that travel from place to place to do major jobs.  These are the machines you see on a unit train of MOW equipment - usually with some trucks, cranes, gons and boxcars for supplies, etc...  On NS they carry the living quarters too.

What I'd like to eventually have out there is most of the machines for a surface or tie gang.  As this Shapeways turnaround time gets better I'll be able to make some more progress!!!

- Lou

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:08 PM »
Se where I am at we have consistent gang moves and its just where ol uncle pete moves lots of traffic with MofW. Usually 10-15 89' flats loaded with equipment.... definitely cool looking to say the least.

Absolutely, seeing one of these on NS's Pittsburgh Line was the highlight of the last CRHS Rail-B-Q. It was led by a former Conrail SD40-2R, and had a bunch of flats with equipment, but even cooler, a bunch of camp cars like the one we just acquired.

Lou, you're doing those too, right?

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:31:05 PM »
Railway Express Minatures has some MOW items in N scale as well. M14 speeder, Open cab tie crane, Swingmaster crane, Gon topper crane,
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

ljudice

• Crew
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:09:50 PM »
Absolutely, seeing one of these on NS's Pittsburgh Line was the highlight of the last CRHS Rail-B-Q. It was led by a former Conrail SD40-2R, and had a bunch of flats with equipment, but even cooler, a bunch of camp cars like the one we just acquired.

Lou, you're doing those too, right?

Ed - I'll take a look at some photos - I think the overall dimensions are around the same, so redoing some windows, doors, vents should be easy.   These models seem to build REALLY nicely at Shapeways...