Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/11/11  (Read 8878 times)

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
Re: Weekend Update 9/11/11
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
Are you tearing up the CFNR unit? Or configuring it to be the correct version?  Interested to see your progress, as I skipped on the CFNR Geeps, because they're the wrong version.

Yep, reconfiguring the CFNR unit. Not to mention the color on the Atlas version is shocking.

James, Using super glue to simulate the dents and distress of the thin sheet metal sides of a gondola is great idea!  :D I've been trying to fiqure this one out for along time myself  :?, so I have continued to procrastinate working on my fleet of Conrail gondolas. I agree with Allen, however I hope that you with share with us the progress of your work including the following steps.  ;)   

Thanks guys! I can't take credit for the idea though - it has been discussed here a couple of times, but I couldn't find any photos. Will keep you posted on progress.

Anyone else tried this method and has tips to share? I'm now wondering if the super glue should extend rib-to-rib, or whether random patches will still look realistic?
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »
Basically finished the first loop of the helix.  Track just needs to be glued down.   Won't be able to do much more for the rest of Sept, but at least now I have a procedure down such that I can probably complete the rest of the helix at the rate of one loop per week.

That's interesting , by putting the forward post facing out , adding loops is a slip in procedure .

Richie Dost

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
James, that superglue on the gondola is like a bolt of lightening hitting.  What a great solution!  Eagerly waiting to see how that turns out.

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »
That's interesting , by putting the forward post facing out , adding loops is a slip in procedure .

This is a tip I heard from a variety of folks who have built these Ashlin Design kits.   Refrain from gluing the exterior posts on to the helix until it has reached its full height.    You may need to add some spacer type supports to keep everything level in the mean time, but it should be far easier than trying to shoe-horn in the curved roadbed sections between paired towers.

Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
I did my helix the same way. Took a long time to build, but I wanted it done right. Don't want any derailments in there. 
Steve

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »
More Mississippi River Bridge progress.  More info on the blog.  genevasub.blogspot.com

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »
Beautiful bridge, Daryl.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

dwyaneward

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://kdrail.blogspot.com/
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2011, 10:16:40 PM »
Progress on my first control panel

Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX.
-------------------------------------
http://kdrail.blogspot.com/

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »
Well, after a year's worth of preparation, Vanrail 2011 was this weekend.  The C&W was one of 8 Vancouver area layouts on the rotation and hosted 3, 4 hour long sessions. 

For me, the operation of the layout and watching it successfully bring enjoyment to others is what it is all about.  I hope these photos convey some of that.

There are more photos at the Flikr site below should you be interested (you may need to paste the link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157627524936901/

My special thanks to Railwire members Gary Hinshaw and Tim Horton who were home road crew for sessions.

md
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:11:51 AM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2011, 12:45:11 AM »
I have to ask, Mark... do you blast the air conditioning a little extra through the snow scenes?  What an amazing piece of work you've got there.

I'm glad to hear that Gary has settled in on your crew.  I'm still waiting for my end of the trade with that player to be named later! :D

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2011, 02:07:46 AM »
I have to ask, Mark... do you blast the air conditioning a little extra through the snow scenes?  What an amazing piece of work you've got there.
Lee

Cool idea Lee!  :)  The C&W is indeed an amazing piece of work that is as fun to run as it is to look at. 

No modeling for me still, but I've been making great progress rehabbing my garage for Tehachapi BC.  All the old drywall and wiring have been gutted, the new wiring and lighting is in place with a dedicated lighting circuit, 2 separate outlet circuits (one on a switch), and a 240V heating circuit.  75% of the insulation is installed. All that remains is to finish the insulation, roll a vapor barrier, hang/tape the new drywall, and install the heater.  I'm getting giddy. 

I'm glad to hear that Gary has settled in on your crew.  I'm still waiting for my end of the trade with that player to be named later! :D

:D

-Gary

P.S. Scott, that loco looks great - as does the scenery its in!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 02:10:46 AM by GaryHinshaw »

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
Yep, reconfiguring the CFNR unit. Not to mention the color on the Atlas version is shocking.

Love to see your progress.  I'm debating on picking up a undec shell, and the M4 hood, and then casting my own full unit, since I'd like to do six or seven of them.

I have the two SD9's.  Not sure the color is shocking, but I'd love to know how they matched the color.  Reading Green is almost dead on, and what they used is certainly not that.
~ Matt

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »

Maybe it's just the mood I'm in this morning, but wouldn't that look better if you had some strobe lights and a girl in a bikini dancing inside that?  You know, sort of like on Laugh In?... :ashat:

Rowan and Martin
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:25 PM »
I did my helix the same way. Took a long time to build, but I wanted it done right. Don't want any derailments in there. 
Steve

Wow, that's quite the helix, Steve!   Are you using it for serial staging?   How long will it take for a train to go from the bottom to the top?

Ed

SD452XR

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »
My layout is three levels. The bottom level is a huge staging yard with reverse loops, to turn trains if needed. The second and third level will have the scenery. It looks like a double track main but in reality its single track. When you leave the bottom level with a "northbound" train, you will go from the bottom level to the second. When you leave the second level, you climb again up to the third level. Once you leave the third level, then you go down the inside track of the helix all the way down to the bottom level.

It does take a little while to climb all the way from the bottom to the top of the helix but haven't timed it yet.  I did wire it up so there are actually three blocks. This way I can have block detection. Don't want a head-on in there. Eventually the helix will be in a giant cabinet, as will the TV and stereo equipment that sits next to it. 

Steve