Author Topic: Depressing  (Read 1548 times)

Virginia Atlantic

• Crew
  • Respect: +39
Depressing
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »
For the first time in two years, since my house fire caused my moving, I opened the box containing my N-Scale Model Collection.

It was sad to see how poor a condition most of my stuff was in, jammed willy nilly into boxed by the clean-up crew, couplers and wheelsets broken off, details smashed and ruined, paintwork scratched and ruined.

Alot of hours spent doing the custom stuff, all to wind up junk.

Bit of advice, don;t have a house fire.  Bit of advice two, if you DO have a fire, pack up your trains (if they survive) yourself, don;t let the insurances clean-up crew do it.

Guess if I ever do come back to the hobby, it'll be a fresh start from nothing.
Modeling Passenger Trains in 1:1 Scale for 23 Years and Counting....

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Depressing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:09:40 PM »
You have my sympathy!  Anytime I have moved I have packed my trains and moved them with me.  My wife thinks I am nuts but than if anything happens to them I can only blame myself.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Ken G Price

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
And why would not come back to model railroading? If you enjoyed it before, why not now?
Ken Price
Lake County Ca.
Super Empire Builder with radio throttles.
Mid 90's west Texas. UP,SP,MP
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:59:18 PM »
You have parts , and parts is parts .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:01:00 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:24:22 AM »
that sucks.
If it was me I would salvage what I can, keep the sentimental stuff, sell the rest as parts lots, and try to start over.....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Brakie

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:26:42 AM »
I feel your pain..

When my house flooded in '07 I lost a lot of stuff to include several N and HO locomotives,cars,55 years worth of slides,photos,videos,several employee table tables,4 railroad rule books,drill,soldering irons and one stuff engineer teddy bear that my late wife got me at NMRA's Rails Alive in '75 National Train Show..

The locomotives,cars and tools was replace but,my personal railroad videos,photos,slides,rule books,ETT and teddy bear can never be replace..It was heartbreaking.
Larry

Summerset Ry.

fifer

• Crew
  • Albuquerque Canuel & Tijeras RR
  • Respect: +60
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
Well , I would hope you can make something out of the mess. It could have been worse. I have a friend who had almost all of his inventory stolen.
 :-X :facepalm: :scared: :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Mike
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:07 AM »
It seems to me you have been on a learning curve ........ if it is valuable to you ..... do it yourself or at worst supervise closely.

And the next lesson ......... if you are prepared to put a positive swing to it ....... out of something bad something good will come if you let it.

Take your experience and skills from what you have already done and do it better this time, see your set back as an opportunity to go forward.

Lift your head up and put your face into the wind ...... the future is what you make it.   

What are you going to do instead of trains?????