Author Topic: Trainworx Transport Leasing 85' Intermodal  (Read 1491 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Trainworx Transport Leasing 85' Intermodal
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
As I still have lots to learn about my chose modeling period - the 60s (hey, I was all of 5 when the decade ended) - I sometimes ask annoyingly obvious questions... What is Transport Leasing? A short-lived competitor to Trailer Train?

The Trainworx-announced cars are marked new in March 1960, so they obviously fit my era and I am wondering if I should strive to grab a few. Did they operate throughout the country or on specific roads/corridors?

Can anyone lecture me good on these?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:53:14 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Re: Trainworx Transport Leasing 85' Intermodal
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »
Transport Leasing... TLDX, was Pullman-Standards leasing arm... similar to JAIX (Freightcar America) and TILX (Trinityrail) today
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:23:00 AM by Robbman »

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:56:41 PM »
... What is Transport Leasing? A short-lived competitor to Trailer Train?

From what I understand/have found out TLC started out as a division of Pullman-Standard that leased freight cars like Pullman had leased passenger cars - It changed owners a couple of times and still exists today, leasing mostly hoppers with TLCX reporting marks. TLC existed in the late 1950's haven't found the actual year it began operation.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
I'm familiar with the TLDX covered hoppers leasing to private name companies, but have never seen the intermodal equipment. Was it a (much) smaller operation than the covered hopper leasing. Where did they run is what I am wondering most, as I've never seen a photo or read written mention of the cars.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
I'm familiar with the TLDX covered hoppers leasing to private name companies, but have never seen the intermodal equipment. Was it a (much) smaller operation than the covered hopper leasing. Where did they run is what I am wondering most, as I've never seen a photo or read written mention of the cars.

Since Pullman leasing basically ceased operating in the late 1960's (1968?) before TOFC became as dominant as it is today the TLCX leasing operation was relatively small. And since Pullman leasing was winding down as Trailer-Train was growing TLCX was never a real player in the TOFC market.

As to where the cars ran and who leased them, without access to Pullman's Leasing records only a guess can be made that the rr's that were customers of Pullman's passenger car leasing program were likely customers of the freight car leasing division. So the cars could have been expected to appear anywhere. Maybe someone has done for the freight cars what Jerry LaBoda has done for the Pullman passenger car leasing fleet but I am not aware of anyone that has done so.

The reporting marks were/are TLCX not TLDX - The leasing operation in the 1960's was spun-off into Pullman Leasing Company - PLCX reporting marks added. In 1981 it was purchased by Intel and now is part of GE leasing. With TLCX and PLCX reporting marks still being used on equipment.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:13 AM »

The reporting marks were/are TLCX not TLDX...

TLDX was also used by Pullman, not just for hoppers but flat cars as well.

Jason

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
That's Itel, not Intel, I believe...