Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/7/11  (Read 5652 times)

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Weekend Update 8/7/11
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:30:11 AM »

Free to use if you want https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BwBwLwwD-yY/Tj9Q-9raZxI/AAAAAAAAM9Y/HnIFxiA9sIs/s800/Railwire%252520Weekend%252520Update%252520basic.JPG

Thanks John for driving this forum ,  and good luck Tom you are taking over a well kept train ..... Hmmm Tom is much easier to spell .

UP 4-6-2 2888 progress

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:14:28 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
Re: Weekend Update 8/7/11
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »

dwyaneward

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • http://kdrail.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Completed of installing the Bridge and associated track each side, so the Mainline is complete and the Golden Spike as been driven.

Other work was installing the Boosters along with power wiring, also got comm. wiring from the command station to the first two booster and the wireless working. With a couple of jumpers I got to run a train for a short distance.

Also had my first group local N Scale MRR to visit the layout Saturday.
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX.
-------------------------------------
http://kdrail.blogspot.com/

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
I have a steel mill complex on the layout .. slowly working on it ..

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »
I made some more progress on the heisler.

Still gotta get some micro Surface LEDs for the lights, cab grabs, end grabs, and of course paint. Still need to get my hands on some grease, although I did some tweaking and got it to work a little smoother now. I also rebuilt the Universal to the front truck. It don't actually power the front truck, but it does spin, and it is a actual functioning Universal.

One thing I hate about taking pictures of my work, I see all kinds of spots I should probally smoothen out. Stupid liquid Super glue. I can't find actuall CA here. grrrr....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Guilford Guy

• Crew
  • hates trains
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
Very nice Dwayne! I hammered in my golden spike a couple weeks ago. Renters kept me away until last night when I was able to do some more terraforming, and scenery on a small portion where there station will be. The station was scratchbuilt like most of the structures on the layout, and since the photos has received shingles and some more weathering. I also painted and decalled the fooby caboose.

Edit: More pictures!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:44:54 PM by Guilford Guy »
if you can't conduct yourself, conduct freight

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3331
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
No pics, but I finished installing my phone system around my layout for operations (similar to the system that was in the last N Scale Railroading).  Dispatcher is now located in another room from the layout as well.  Seems to work well from my testing.

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
finished the timetable, 80% finished the classification yard... this includes the obligitory "moving and rearranging of other tracks" as well as "putting in all the drops".  Should tighten it up tomorrow.

Also did work on scenery and push buttons for Grand Junction.

Looking forward to Chuck-Pak as well as a delivery from Hay brothers this week.
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »
On Saturday, I worked with John to migrate the forum over to a new environment.  Thanks to John for great management over the years, a guy we could count on for stability and technical know-how.  The forum was rarely down for any reason! ;D

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
On Saturday, I worked with John to migrate the forum over to a new environment.  Thanks to John for great management over the years, a guy we could count on for stability and technical know-how.  The forum was rarely down for any reason! ;D

+1

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »

The software actually is supposed automaticly adjust to 800px if your screen dictates it. Actually people should post larger photos so those with larger monitors get the ability to get the bigger stuff. The software should adjust for those of you with smaller screens or resolutions.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

dsumner

• Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 09:54:56 PM »
Display module trackwork w/Charles Hopkins BNSF unit. 

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »
The ACME Labs paintshop has been pretty busy the past week. Western Marylands 44T has one side complete.

Because Micro-Scale has changed their white sublimination printing, their decals are officially a bear over irregular surfaces. Additionally their typesetter has a hard time getting even spaces between letters.... The "Maryland" portion is really M-ARY-L-AN-D... add the first factor and you can see why some letters are slightly distorted. I will attempt to correct by assembling the whole shebang on clear film then apply it to the model. A little weathering should disuade the eye to the facts on the finished side.

ACME Labs was also able to complete striping on Laurel Valley 1805.

I have to send some artwork off for more B&O RDC decals, at which time I'll request some LRV decals be made.

On the layout I upgraded the DCC system on the BYR, replacing the DCS 50 with a DCS 100 for $80 bucks! (It was actually a Cheif II complete system so that was a huge win, now I have an extra throttle, and a UP5 panel). I was also able to get some ballasting done as well, while the results are good I'm not happy with the ballast itself (Smith & Son's Penn-Ohio blend).

I've officially came to the conclusion that LL Berks (and N-Scale steam in general) don't like Super-El curves which means I'll toss that idea out the window on "thebiglayoutoneday".

The S.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:17:15 PM by sizemore »

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1250
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »

I haven't given up on my MDC tank conversions. Paint and decals complete, I made one fade pass, but no weathering yet.

Rebuilt Bachmann Cat 944 Traxcavator.

Lou's MofW truck beds

There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:43:22 PM »
Rebuilt Bachmann Cat 944 Traxcavator.

I assume the bucket and arms are GHQ? Where'd the wheels come from? Thats a great upgrade I'd like to try that myself.

Thanks,
The S.